Stevie342000

Presto 5C Cutter Head Information or Manual

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:54 am

Ah good news I emailed Alan Graves and he informs me that the cutter head I just purchased is a Presto 5C.

Any one have an specs or a manual for that one? I for one doubt there will be a manual for this one but would imagine it is very similar to a 1C.

Suspect it has an resistance/impedance of 500 ohms, no idea yet it is not in my hands so can not measure it, will feed that back when I get it.

Have email Gib at West Tech for info as well as a rough idea of cost should it need to be rewound or to have the suspension replaced.

What are the impedances I should be seeing for the various impedances known for the Presto Heads? I know it is here on the forum somewhere will go trawl.

Cheers,
Thanks for all the help so far with the Rek O Kut M5 and in general.

Steve in the UK

Aussie_cutter

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:57 am

Hi Steve,

I am also after any information on the 5C head. Any manual scans or other information would be wonderful!

Thanks
Henry

JayDC

Re: Presto 5C Cutter Head Information or Manual

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 pm

Stevie342000 wrote:
What are the impedances I should be seeing for the various impedances known for the Presto Heads? I know it is here on the forum somewhere will go trawl.
The only ones I've seen by presto are 15ohms and 500ohms.. RCA made some heads at 4 and 8ohms.. and I have run into some 15ohm presto heads rewound to 8ohms.. just check with a meter when you receive it.. most presto heads are stamped with the impedance on the back plate of the head..

when you finally receive the head, please post some pics, i never seen a 5C...
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

Angus McCarthy

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:19 pm

The 5C was the default head for the K-series lathes. Mine's not stamped as being wound for any particular rating, but it seems to be 16.

http://photobucket.com/Presto_5C

Jccc

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Hello i just came up on a Presto 5c head and was wondering if anyone knows the dc resistance of the head. I just checked and it reads 02.0.

I did a test cut with it and the recording is really low compared to a Audax rh5 cutting head a reading around 5.0.

I am sending the audio through a Akai M6 tube amp which i belive has a output impedance of 8 ohms. i belive the output of the amp is 5 watts.

Do you think the wattage of the amp is too low for the head?

Any help will do.

Angus McCarthy

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Most 5Cs would probably have been wound for 16ohms AC, to match the on-board amps in the Presto K-series. I think the RH-5s I've seen were all wound for 8ohms, so it would take twice as much juice to get the same volume out of the 5C.

Jccc

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 pm

yes you are correct on the Audax head. It is stamped for 8 ohms. I will try a different amp which is a QSC power amp which i believe has a 4-8-16 ohm output option.

The thing that is really interesting tho is that i put a multimeter across the 5c output and it gives a reading of 02.0. i dont think thats close to 16 ohms?

i will try some test and post the results.

Jccc

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:27 am

Well i did a test on the 5c head connected to a QSC power amp and I got a pretty good recording. Not as loud as the Audax RH5 head but it was louder which is a good sign.

I guess the reason why it was lower was because of the wattage of the Akai amp which output wattage is 5 watts.

The only bad thing now is that i guess i sent to much of a signal into the Presto head and saw some smoke come out!
Hopefully i didn't kill the head.

Does anyone know how i could test to see if the coil is still good?

JayDC

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:56 am

Jccc wrote:Does anyone know how i could test to see if the coil is still good?

Ohm meter and visual inspection.. from my experience, it's really hard to blow out the coils on a presto head.. you have to really want to do it...

Angus McCarthy

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Really? I fried my 5C a week after getting it rewound by Gib. One moment of sibilance and POPsizzle... :x

JayDC

Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Angus McCarthy wrote:Really? I fried my 5C a week after getting it rewound by Gib. One moment of sibilance and POPsizzle... :x

i wouldn't let gib touch anything of mine, he totally destroyed an RCA head I gave him a while back....

45rpmdude

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:52 pm

i think what e means is he had gib rewind the coild and file down the metal link making it sensative.. giving it a hi fi def groove.. The only reason i had him rewind one head and he reduce the 500 ohm coil in mine as well.. well he reduced the head, for what ever reason. to work with any 8 ohm stereo.. turning up 35 winds of coil will only go 5 db.. i foud this out the hard way as well. i wanted to cut loud. but its not about loud. with magnetic its about vibration and the movement of the coil generating sound. i wanted it woud for 6 db. so mine only lasted a month before i burned mine out.. jus 4 weeks.. mine is doa,, i hit my magnet with a steel hammer not a brass one.. this was a big mistake on my part,, ive asked a lot on here and no one could seem to help so i just might use a speaker instead,,