djmeverett

Re: Meissner Phonorecorder - 9-1065

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:02 pm

tragwag wrote:I had a friend look over the electronics, and test the tubes in my Phonorecorder.
It is now up to good shape, thanks to a replacement (astatic?) X-26 cutting head I bought from a friend, which was supposedly rewound by Gib.

My only problem now is the turntable speed.
It definitely has something to do with the idler wheels, though I'm hesitant to do any work on them.
They seem really flimsy and easy to ruin.
There is a flat spot on the 33 idler, which causes a ticking noise in the recording.
Also the playback speed at both 33 and 78 are slightly fast.

Im hoping it's not a motor issue, but it's looking that way.
Any advice would be great!
I've used Terry's Rubber in the past for rubber idler wheels on other equipment like vintage tape decks. He does excellent work. If you email him he might even have the exact specs on the original parts. At the very least he will be able to restore the rubber and diameters to there proper size.
http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

On the motor, I'm pretty sure you could carefully disassemble the motor, clean and lubricate any bearings. Not a whole lot to go wrong except a winding wire breaking or shorting out but that usually causes the motor to stop working.
I replaced the rubber motor mount bushings with new ones they were defintely shot, cracked and brittle. The motor powered up fine very quiet and smooth running. The idler wheels were also in really good shape, round, not gooey or brittle like some many rubber parts go. A slight amount of glazing on the edges which I cleaned and lightly roughed up with emery paper. I used some specific rubber cleaner I've used before on pinch rollers.
If the motor is failing though then that is of course another story.
Hope that helps with some ideas...

tragwag

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Terry has done great work on my 6N idlers, but besides the tick in the 33 wheel, I was thinking my problem was mostly because of the motor. I'm also not sure if I want to put in much more $$$ on this one. I'll let you know what comes of it!
Thanks
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

djmeverett

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:44 pm

tragwag wrote:Thanks for the advice.
Terry has done great work on my 6N idlers, but besides the tick in the 33 wheel, I was thinking my problem was mostly because of the motor. I'm also not sure if I want to put in much more $$$ on this one. I'll let you know what comes of it!
Thanks

Yeah I know exactly what you mean....my Meissner is taking it's time.
I'm almost at a point I can fire it up and see if anything works...
Getting life distractions that are postponing further work...
It will live though....

After my last post I came across an old book I had on Servicing Record Changers from 1956.
very weird and coincidental...I had completely forgotten about it and it just popped out at me while looking for something else. The info in there was pretty basic but the motor assembly was easy to disassemble clean and oil which seems to be 90% of any problems with them...so if you are even a little handy with the tools I'm sure you could at least clean and lubricate the motor and if you find something a miss open it up and see if it's something easily fixed. Then test it for quiet smooth operation. Be sure to take pictures or make sure you have a record of all the parts and there order of assembly. It makes things so much easier when you go to put it back together.
You can also find these Strobodisc patterns online you can print out and instructions on how to use them to check the platter speed...that might help as well...
Good luck

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:17 am

fleshbled805

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:04 am

may i get the riders info please. i own a meissner as well. fleshbled696 at gmail dot com