klikli_ska

Finebilt presses book

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:00 am

Hi everyone!

As far I know, there are so many plants in US using Finebilt presses, like Gotta Groove, Palomino, Erika and Retroactivo Records in Mexico.

Could someone give me some info about books/manuals of these presses? 12" and 7" would be so great!

It's so difficult to find some text books of these kind of presses, and I suppose that only the people who works with them has some info.

Thanks for advance!

K.

andybee

Re: Finebilt presses book

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 am

maybe flo has something... www.floka.com

flozki

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:59 am

nope. i think i just got the official finebilt brochures. and pricelists.
i was dumpster diving 2000 in the backyard of koerlich . a pressing & plant cutting room in hollywood.
it was a 20foot container full of mastering tapes from the 50ies and 60ies.
original scully manuals, all the sales brochures from finebuilt, hamilton,fabel.....
old label clichés.just the whole damn pressing plant execpt the machinery. i guess i missed that container.

but i did not found the fineuilt manua. but i think with such a simple press there is no big manual anyway.

Deke Dickerson

Thu May 21, 2015 1:40 am

Flozki--

I just saw your post about dumpster diving in back of Korelich Manufacturing in Hollywood.

Argh!

I used to do record labels with Pete Korelich back in the 1990s and he had an impressive setup of letterpress machines that he printed labels on, it was from the 1930's or 1940's and hadn't changed much! He also had a cutting room with a Neumann lathe that I think came from LA Motown, the room was full of junk piled to the ceiling and it was very dirty, and they cut lots of punk rock records and mexican norteno music there.

In the back he had a full record pressing plant that had sustained a fire. The roof had caught on fire and the burned record presses were out in the elements for 20 years or so. Pete continued to operate the front room mastering lab and label printing presses until he got alzheimers and the building was cleaned out.

I got a call from somebody at that time asking if I wanted the record presses--FOR FREE--but I figured since they had sustained a fire and needed all new rubber and a total rebuild from top to bottom it was way more work than I could take on.

But I had no idea until I read your post that they threw all this stuff your speak of into the dumpster. What a crying shame. I probably could have had the opportunity to get all that stuff, but the guy who called me about the presses didn't mention that they were dumping all this other stuff. ARgh!! Well, at least now I know what happened to all of it.

You didn't get a manual for a Scully 501 with fixed gearbox did you?

Deke