BlackCircleStudios

Fairchild Model 600 Connex Schematic

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Hey hey!

Wondering if anyone here has the schematic and/or manual to this high frequency limiter built by Fairchild. Any help would be amazing. You can feel free to email me as well at blackcirclerecordpressing@gmail.com

Thanks for your time!

- Mitch
Black Circle Radio

All-Vinyl Broadcasting Since 2009

Stevie342000

Re: Fairchild Model 600 Connex Schematic

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:46 pm

BlackCircleStudios wrote:Hey hey!

Wondering if anyone here has the schematic and/or manual to this high frequency limiter built by Fairchild. Any help would be amazing. You can feel free to email me as well at blackcirclerecordpressing@gmail.com

Thanks for your time!

- Mitch
I think there is or was a schematic for that particular part available on line, I do have a copy but was sworn not to share it. In fact I think I have two slightly different versions from memory.

So you should be able to search for it on one of the other forums or on line, it should be there somewhere. Searching for Conax might actually elicit what you are looking for.

BlackCircleStudios

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:54 pm

[/quote]

I think there is or was a schematic for that particular part available on line, I do have a copy but was sworn not to share it. In fact I think I have two slightly different versions from memory.

So you should be able to search for it on one of the other forums or on line, it should be there somewhere. Searching for Conax might actually elicit what you are looking for.[/quote]

Thank you much for the reply! I have dug hard for it and can only come up with the manual and schematic for the 602. I know that is the stereo version, so they should be the same thing, but one can never be sure with this stuff. Any leads you have would be amazing. Talk soon!
Black Circle Radio

All-Vinyl Broadcasting Since 2009

Stevie342000

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:06 pm

BlackCircleStudios wrote:

So you should be able to search for it on one of the other forums or on line, it should be there somewhere. Searching for Conax might actually elicit what you are looking for.[/quote]

Thank you much for the reply! I have dug hard for it and can only come up with the manual and schematic for the 602. I know that is the stereo version, so they should be the same thing, but one can never be sure with this stuff. Any leads you have would be amazing. Talk soon![/quote]

I think you did better than I did when I looked it was some years ago, so there may be more information out there now than when I looked. The stereo version I assume would have two of these equalisation cans in it? From memory it should have a couple of diodes/rectifiers (solid state) and a few capacitors and resistors in there. Depends on how good you are at figuring out what should be in the can, as you could work out the component values based on the cut off frequencies. I will put it on my to do list and see if I can come across anything else that can help.

Stevie342000

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Stevie342000 wrote:
BlackCircleStudios wrote:

So you should be able to search for it on one of the other forums or on line, it should be there somewhere. Searching for Conax might actually elicit what you are looking for.
Thank you much for the reply! I have dug hard for it and can only come up with the manual and schematic for the 602. I know that is the stereo version, so they should be the same thing, but one can never be sure with this stuff. Any leads you have would be amazing. Talk soon![/quote]

I think you did better than I did when I looked it was some years ago, so there may be more information out there now than when I looked. The stereo version I assume would have two of these equalisation cans in it? From memory it should have a couple of diodes/rectifiers (solid state) and a few capacitors and resistors in there. Depends on how good you are at figuring out what should be in the can, as you could work out the component values based on the cut off frequencies. I will put it on my to do list and see if I can come across anything else that can help.[/quote]

Ok see attached file this is what I found when I did a simple google search.

http://steampoweredradio.com/pdf/fairchild/manuals/Model%20602%20CONAX%20Conaccelerator%20Dual%20Channel%20Manual.pdf

The 600 is just a single channel version of the 602, the 601 had more gain and I have found no info on that at all. To figure out what is in the that FL101 someone who has one should go take a look inside and draw out the diagram, there are enough of them out there, we just need to find someone who is willing to crack it open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stevie342000

Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:40 pm

I think you did better than I did when I looked it was some years ago, so there may be more information out there now than when I looked. The stereo version I assume would have two of these equalisation cans in it? From memory it should have a couple of diodes/rectifiers (solid state) and a few capacitors and resistors in there. Depends on how good you are at figuring out what should be in the can, as you could work out the component values based on the cut off frequencies. I will put it on my to do list and see if I can come across anything else that can help.[/quote]

Ok see attached file this is what I found when I did a simple google search.

http://steampoweredradio.com/pdf/fairchild/manuals/Model%20602%20CONAX%20Conaccelerator%20Dual%20Channel%20Manual.pdf

The 600 is just a single channel version of the 602, the 601 had more gain and I have found no info on that at all. To figure out what is in the that FL101 someone who has one should go take a look inside and draw out the diagram, there are enough of them out there, we just need to find someone who is willing to crack it open.[/quote]

OK here goes see attached files, I can not find the filter schematic on line any more but its contents are confirmed by the patent information. No need for any one to open up a can.
US3111635 Conax 600 Patent.pdf
Model 602 CONAX Conaccelerator Dual Channel Manual.pdf
filter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

petrolio

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:29 am

Thanks for share! Is there someone cutting with this outboard? How it sound?
It will be nice to develope a pcb for the community :)
Maybe not difficult a point to point build to try ...

Inviato dal mio ALE-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk

Stevie342000

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:50 am

petrolio wrote:Thanks for share! Is there someone cutting with this outboard? How it sound?
It will be nice to develope a pcb for the community :)
Maybe not difficult a point to point build to try ...

It does not review very well if you do a search of the forums, it's a bit like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. General consensus is if you can hear it when it is circuit then it is not good, so it should be used with caution and sparingly. Aside from which you may run into issues with making duplicates, one of the designers (patentees) is still alive and active on the Internet.

So as this is in your cutting chain (pre as in before Inverse RIAA), if you over use it then you are going to lop off the top end. Its principle use aside from in the cutting chain (for which it was designed) was in radio transmitter chain. It could be used to interesting effect but there is a lot of inter-modulation distortion in this unit. So if you are looking for a clean sound then this might not be of any use at all.

Other uses for this is in tape recording although little is mentioned in the manual, it can be used in the same way, really it gives you more top end headroom when cutting discs, broadcasting or recording to tape.

All of this these days can be done in the digital world, its a bit like a plane and where ground level is, think Die Hard here. Is is essentially a high pass/low pass filter with peak clipper and level limiting.

petrolio

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:32 am

Good Stevie, that is true, it will be nice to make some cuts to try...tube warmt is always sexy...