motorino

Print a strobe .JPG

Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Hello

Someone has to scan a good resolution for quality card board printing (16", 12", 7")?

For 50hz, 60 hz or both!

Thanks to contribute, i believe all we need no? :wink:

alienmanstk

Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:43 pm

so how does the stroboscopic disk work? Do the dashed lines appear to be a solid black line when the turn table is moving at the correct speed? Thanks,

Sam

cuttercollector

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:24 pm

The lines "stand still" as though the strobe disc were not turning when the speed is correct and the strobe disc is viewed under a 60Hz (or 50Hz) light source such as a neon or fluorescent bulb. Regular incandesant light bulbs have enough thermal lag that they don't turn on and off fully at 60Hz
so the pattern is indistinct.
The lines start moving in one direction or the other if the speed is too fast or slow.

alienmanstk

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:33 pm

wow! who knew !! ill have to get my hands on a neon light. Its just for my gakken gramophone, now i will be able to find the correct speed without straining my ears to match the pitch! thanks for your reply!

I think its about time for someone, even gakken, to make a real NEW record lathe! I think we all should write to Gakken, the japanese company, and ask them to build , or atleast create a prototype lathe.
I mean, nothing very hifi, but atleast somthing that lets you record at normal speeds , and hmmm, maybe recording time more than 50 seconds???!!!!!!Using magnetic cutters instead of acoustic ones! I mean, come on gakken! They make all these TOYS, that tease us! The cd recorder records at 80rpms(what good is that!) and the gramophone recorder records for less than a minute. If anyone is hiding plans for a new lathe, or builds them from scratch, nows the time to market them!!!! Id love to build one myself, atleast, or buy a new one that actually works, not one that worked in the last century!

motorino

Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:22 pm

thanks cuttercollector!

cuttercollector

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:33 pm

The thing is, lots of turntables and even a few record labels have strobes. Some of the modern ones might not work off 60Hz with a bulb running on AC though. I know most DJ turtables like Technics 1200s that have variable speed have a built in one. You still make the lines stand still when you adjust the speed though. If they wander back and forth it indicates "wow" or speed instability (which can also happen if you get the strobe card not printed on center - just like when you play an off center pressed record). In either case that is not the fault of the turntable.
The major thing especially with cutting is that the table slows eratically with not enough torque for the extra load of cutting. That will make the sound seem to speed up during those parts on constant speed playback.

I would love to build a new portable moderate cost moderate fidelity tube amp driven lathe as a very late continuation of all those Presto and Rek-O-Kut machines from the 50s.
I have been plotting and planning how for years. Just need to hit the "actually do it" button. Not a trivial thing.

alienmanstk

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 pm

yea , im totally new to the art of cutting, and already i am wishing to build my own. Thing is, is that i really dont know where to begin! And i am not the best at electronics! So , i guess all of us "un-electrical" types will just have to wait for one of you technical guys to mass produce!!! That will be a great day!!!!