Deep Grooves Mastering - Dr. Cuts Vinyl Mastering VST

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Re: Deep Grooves Mastering - Dr. Cuts Vinyl Mastering VST

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Here are the latest setups. If you are having issues, please uninstall and reinstall from the appropriate setup below. I'm praying that this resolves the issues for everyone. By the way, I run Dr. Cuts on a Windows 7 Pro x64 bit computer.

Dr. Cuts 32 Bit Setup
DrCuts_Setup.zip
Dr. Cuts 64 Bit Setup
DrCuts_Setup_x64.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

lucien

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:01 am

Thank you. It works here now.
I've just tried it and here are 3 print screens to let you know about the a few issues I've encountered just in case.

-From the state OFF to ON there's a volume and a balance difference.
-When I choose reset to factory default there's a graphic bug (thresh and knee knobs).

I look forward from seeing the future development of this VST :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucien

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:02 am

ON

lucien

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:02 am

Reset to factory default

opcode66

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 am

Cool. Shouldn't be hard to resolve. Thanks for sticking with me here!
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

studiorp

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Sorry, but I am not so lucky. Too I have Win7 x64 pro, but nothing, on my comp. is not working.
I have too changed another interesting program with vst table plugins, but nothing... : http://www.wavosaur.com/

studiorp

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:02 pm

Sorry opcode66, but isn't better create a little light software with your options like iriaa for example than a simple file dll ?

opcode66

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Why would that be better? I use a daw to cut from. This works for my daw. It is staring to work for others. I have not time or interest in creating a daw.

studiorp

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:59 am

Solved all finally ! With Audacity your Dr. Cuts 32 works on my computer. Thanks.

studiorp

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:10 am

And too with Nero Wave editor works; yes, but i have recovered your dll to 32 ( 64 not working ) into plugins folder of Audacity, and then i have inserted it in plugins of my two editors, only so in this mode works, others noting.
Thanks again.

opcode66

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Great! I wanted to sort all this out because my next VST control will be a Pitch Computer. Yes, that's right. I'm going to make a usb device that the VST will comunicate with directly. The VST will supply the pitch motors with juice via pwm. The tachometers will be interpreted by the usb box and sent digital to the VST. Things like start, stop, lead in and lead out will also be routed to my usb box, translated to digital and sent to the vst. Base pitch and depth will all be set on screen and could then be displayed in the existing meters. in your daw you would load up the same wave twice. One starts at zero for preview and has the pitch computer vst. The other at 1.1 or .84 seconds that has audio for the cutterhead.

So, I wanted to figure out how to make and distribute a vst and get all the issues worked out. Thanks for being part of this test.

Sillitoe

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Glad to help!

studiorp

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:22 pm

So Todd, correct me if I am in mistake : you are building an usb box that will be linked to computer by usb probably, that's right ? And the other part on lathe ?

If so, could be used with any lathe ?

opcode66

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Could be modified to work with many lathes. Yes. Not all lathes operate the same. Or have feedback on their pitch motors. But, in short, yes. Obviously, overhead mechanisms that use the platter motor wont work.

EmAtChapterV

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:51 am

opcode66 wrote:I wanted to sort all this out because my next VST control will be a Pitch Computer.
Kudos, I look forward to seeing this! I got as far myself as applying RIAA-versus-excursion EQ and a graphing mid/side peak meter on a sidechain with a delay, to figure out the maximum excursions one-half to one full revolution before they arrived, but I got stuck trying to translate those meter readings into MIDI note values and instead sat there with a lookup table I'd written that added excursion distance to groove width and translated that into LPI, watching the line on the graph. Not very practical or efficient.

opcode66

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:17 am

My initial thought was to use midi to simplifiy communications with the box. But, I decided that I wanted as close to realtime communication back and forth to and and from the lathe as possible. MIDI is based on a rather slow UART clock which is 31,250. I can write code that runs on a chip that can interact with a device driver that the VST control can load. So, direct communication with an external box over USB 2.0 or 3.0 from a VST running in any DAW. Getting good tacho speed data from the motors will be a breeze in this scenario. Using that with the data from the wave files and user settings like base pitch and depth will not be particularly hard to implement in this scenario. The only other thing to factor into the equation is external gain manipulation. So, that can also be a setting. But, there will be a calibration process that will resolve any issues there.

ejemmons

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:21 pm

Yay! DrCuts is loaded in Nuendo 4 Win 8 - will run it around thoroughly later today - I can't wait - looks very promising! Hats off, Gentlemen! Will try 64 bit version across the hall as well - Nuendo 6.5 Win7-64.
Scully "500" with Westrex 3DIIa,
RA-1574E amps.

dimi751

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:52 pm

Nice work opcode !

I tested on MacBook Pro mid 2010 osx 10.8, 8gb ram cubasis 6 works well thanks

Dimi

Biohazard40

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:42 am

This might be a silly question, but did the balance issue in this version ever get resolved?
It seems to favor the right channel?

I'm working around it now with a general balance and gain utility.

But the install wizard worked where just assigning a custom vst folder did not.

Thanks in advance ,
- Colin

babiuk

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:48 am

Yes, I would like to know about this right channel matter.

Also, I am on mac EL capitan and the 64 mac version of the plugin is x86, I can run it in reaper but as 32 bits plugin and when I open it shows a broken GUI with controls fixed and no tweakeable, I can use it by setting it as “no gui” reaper feature which allows me to access to the controls in a reaper fader fashion

Anyone in mac with this issue?