A R Sugden "Connoiseur" Lathe Photos

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Soulbear

A R Sugden "Connoiseur" Lathe Photos

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Here's a few photos of a Compact & Beautiful Lathe designed and built by A R Sugden, that was recently for sale in the U.K. on the ubiqutous Bay, enjoy :-
AR Sugden Connoiseur Lathe Photo's.pdf
:wink: :P :D Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Re: A R Sugden "Connoiseur" Lathe Photos

Thu May 05, 2016 9:23 am

Here's a few more photos of the A R Sugden "Connoiseur" Lathe,with a slightly different colour scheme, from another ebay listing that ended yesterday:-
AR Sugden Connoiseur Lathe Photo's2.pdf
:wink: :P :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Re: A R Sugden "Connoiseur" Lathe Photo's

Thu May 05, 2016 12:47 pm

Soulbear wrote:Here's a few more photo's of the A R Sugden "Connoiseur" Lathe,with a slightly different colour scheme, from another ebay listing that ended yesterday:-
Doh! I'm as blind as a Bat! Just noticed that this is also 3 Speed, with 45-R.P.M. available, so presumably this is from a little later. Just out of curiosity does anyone have any knowledge of which year the Connoiseur Lathe was modified to 3 Speed? Late 50s? :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Stevie342000

Thu May 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Soulbear wrote:
Soulbear wrote:Here's a few more photo's of the A R Sugden "Connoiseur" Lathe,with a slightly different colour scheme, from another ebay listing that ended yesterday:-
Doh! I'm as blind as a Bat! Just noticed that this is also 3 Speed, with 45-R.P.M. available, so presumably this is from a little later. Just out of curiosity does anyone have any knowledge of which year the Connoiseur Lathe was modified to 3 Speed? Late 50s? :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Nope 3 speed was available from 1952 prior to that it was exactly the same colour may have varied but it was 2 speed from 1950. First demonstrated at BSRA in 1949 with vacuum and heated stylus as standard. From the research I have done it cost £150 in about 1950 but the last price I can find is £200 in 1961. I would suggest that by this time it was on its last legs and was not manufactured for much longer after this date. No way of checking all the papers were ditched when AR Sugden sold the company in or around 1980, when it was all asset stripped and shut down.

However I have 2 of these almost exactly the same the only difference is the scaling on the Variable Groove Pitch Dial, I would agree that the one that just sold for a much more sensible price of £370 is a later model probably circa 1957. Got to love the mat, I have seen pictures of the same mat on the same cutter around this later date.

Skint

Thu May 05, 2016 4:08 pm

I can't find the one you say finished yesterday... Any chance of a link? £370 is a bargain. I hope it went to a good home.

Stevie342000

Fri May 06, 2016 1:47 am

Skint wrote:I can't find the one you say finished yesterday... Any chance of a link? £370 is a bargain. I hope it went to a good home.
You will not find it under Connoisseur as he made a bit of mistake in listing it you will see it in the title for the time that it can be viewed on eBay that is.

The search you need to do is Record cutting lathe in advance search, completed listings or use this number 222099864575

Time will tell as to who the purchased the item but they did get it at a good price much more realistic.

Skint

Fri May 06, 2016 6:45 am

Ah, I see, thanks. I'm kicking myself for missing this. Oh well!

Soulbear

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:04 am

Skint wrote: I hope it went to a good home.
It did, it did. :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Soulbear

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi Trolls
Some more AR Sugden "Connoisseur" Photo's to share :-
Connoisseur Lathe Photo's-5.pdf
In terms of U.K. Lathes, this Lathe is "Historic" for a number of reasons. It was purchased by me last week, initially to provide "Spare Parts" for a Sugden "Connoisseur" which I bought last year, but was dropped by the Courier's whilst it was being delivered, causing untold damage. A POX on the House of DPD Couriers :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Arnold Robinson Sugden most thoughtfully "Number Stamped" most of the Components of each and every Lathe he produced. For example, here's some Photo's of the Parts of the "Pitch Changing Mechanism"
Connoisseur Repairs-24.jpg
Connoisseur Repairs-25.jpg
As can be deduced, this makes the Lathe which was dropped by the ***Kin' W**kers at DPD the 14th Lathe produced by Mr Sugden
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear
Cont.........

Soulbear

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi Trolls,
Having explained the "Component/Lathe Numbering Ident" methodology used by AR Sugden in the previous Post, you can imagine my delight to find, the Cutterhead on this latest Sugden "Acquisition" carries the Number 2 Stamp Ident, making this Cutterhead the Second Ever to be Produced by AR Sugden.
Connoisseur Repairs-34.jpg
Further to this, when I removed other "Donor Parts" from the lathe itself, I found to my Horror, I was "Cannibalising" either Sugden's "Prototype Lathe" or the Very First Lathe he produced!!!!
Connoisseur Repairs-27.jpg
Connoisseur Repairs-29.jpg
Needless to say Trolls, this has now been added to my "Ever Longer To Do List" and every effort will now be made to "Fully Restore" this (In U.K. terms at Least) HISTORIC LATHE

Soulbear

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi Trolls,
I also acquired another Historic Sugden last week too, more Photo's :-
Connoisseur Lathe Photo's-7.pdf
This Lathe's "Historic" in the sense that it was supplied with the most Comprehensive "Paperwork Archive" for which I'm eternally grateful to the vendor, Mr C Harker, who is the son of the Lathes Purchaser, who himself was a personal friend of Arnold Sugden. It was used in Mr Harker Snrs Recording Studios in Bolton Lancs from Purchase in 1959 'til being expertly "Stored" around 1968/9. This Lathe additionally came with other "Rare" items namely Sugden Modulation Meter, Sugden Cutting Pre-Amplifier, Sugden Stylus Heater Unit, and Sugden Vacuum Pump, which all look to have left Sugden's Brighouse Factory only yesterday!!!
Archive-1 Sugden Contract-1.jpg
Archive-2 Sugden Contract-2.jpg