Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

SibertInstruments

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:27 am

Hi
My name is David Gardner and I am the MD from Sibert Instruments in the UK, manufacturers of Stamper punching and finishing equipment from both the Optical Disc Industry and for many more years the Vinyl industry. Were are currently developing new equipment for vinyl manufacturers and thought we should make ourselves known on the forum in case anyone wnated to get in touch for new equipment, help on old Sibert equipment, spare punches etc. And to generally see what is going on in the industry and how we can help.

David

untitledthe

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Welcome

evildrome

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 am

Hi All,

My name is Wilson Logan.

I was contacted a while ago by an Italian chap who asked me if I could make record cutting needles. I make tungsten carbide Drag Engraving cutters and that's how he found me.

I am working from a 80 year old patent drawing.

I have replicated the gross geometry but I am very keen to implement the patent description in full.

This means creating the "burnishing facet" which as you can see is umm.. 25 microns across.

I am experimenting with electrochemical machining as trying to create this facet mechanically seems like a fools errand.

My needles are 12mm long by 1.5mm diameter with a location face opposite the cutting face. 87 degree front face angle, 45 degree back angle.

Anyway, the Italian chap has left me somewhat in the lurch by deciding to dismantle his home made lathe for repair / modification.

I'll be honest, it took me a long time to get this far and I can't really complain.

But I would like to have someone test my needles.

My eventual aim would be to sell them but I did this for fun and really to see if I COULD do it.

Its precise work and not my usual thing so I just initially wanted to see if it was possible with my motley collection of 40 year old machine tools.

These are some early tests.

I don't have pics (yet) of my latest efforts. The finish has been improved since.

Clearly I could make any needle with roughly this geometry.

Locating faces can be cut as required. Holders fabricated as desired.

Cheers,

Wilson.

markrob

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 am

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I could not see any of your pictures. How are you fabricating your styli? Are you grinding or lapping? Are these intended to be cutting or embossing styli? You need really smooth mirror finishes on the facets to get the required edge sharpness. As far as the burnishing facets are concerned, I would forget about them until you are able to make good quality cutting styli. I'm also not sure if carbide can hold as sharp an edge as is needed. HSS works well, but has short life.

Mark

markrob

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 am

Hi,

Now I see you pictures. They look nice, but maybe need a finer finish. Back when I was playing with this, I used a wet diamond lap to rough the faces and then finished to a mirror with an wet aluminum lap charged with very fine diamond powder. I guess you'll have to find somebody to test these and report back.

Mark

Ember

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi!
My name is Ember. Thanks for allowing me to join! I'm here to learn and make friends. I'm especially interested in connecting with bands members who play grunge/alternative music.

I would like to learn to cut and press. Any thoughts on which is better?

Ember

Follow me on twitter @thinkslikeaking

norwegianblue

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:31 pm

HI!

We're Norwegian Blue Records: a tiny label focused on small-scale cassettes and lathe cut vinyl out of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. We just blundered our way into an old lathe-cutter (1940's-ish Masco) and would love to know more about the world of cutting records.

Can't wait to meet everyone and learn lots!

Skrupo

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:55 am

Hi my new friends. Sending greatings trom Slovakia.
I own secondhand T560 and my dreams come true! :P
I am owner or small studio called "Studio Konečná".
Im Singer, DJ, speaker, producent and sound engenier.
http://skrupo.wixsite.com/skrupo

Thanks everybody for your good advise with my miseries...

idecable

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:37 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Marc and I'm in Ottawa Canada.

Very thankful this forum is out there. Been reading the DIY lathe threads on here for a while now.

I've been saving up for a few years, and I'm ready to invest in new gear for cutting vinyl.

So in the meantime I get a chance to buy professional equipment, nothing better than creating my own curriculum going the polycarbonate route.

Looking forward connecting with all of you!

Marc

n.lemay

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi, everyone!

I'm Nathan and work with a record shop in Toronto. I have been into vinyl for about 20 years and have some experience with sound editing and 3D printed records, but am looking to get into record lathes as a hobby and eventually for the shop. My dad is a toolmaker, so I hope learning more about this gives us lots to talk about over the holidays!

Mainly just here for research and maybe to catch one being sold.

Cheers!

ilium

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello, I've been lurking for awhile but I recently acquired a Vanrock and I've also been researching building a DIY lathe. I'm based in Los Angeles.

I'm also considering selling blanks because I may have access to a CNC cutter.

Fergo

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:08 pm

Hello there from Argentina.
I'm Fernando and I'm 29 years old. Im a student of plastic moulding and going through some techniques on the web I found the vinyl pressing.
I loved it and here i am. Got a little bit obsessive on the subject and well., That's it.

evilartform

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi I'm Omar I am a musician and record producer I love cassette and vinyl. I am also a hobby level electronics nerd, I like to make synths. I just finally got a record cutter after many years of wanting one. Oh, I also play Indian classical sitar.
Here's a video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bH3XXKnbxRI&ebc=ANyPxKqdBgZZXJbUlBb7FQN7D_AZcQdrStQ5F0B7aWi9t8JvcY7NA9-TsRA1KAzKqVqtDVyh0TnPcVJtkyyx4a923fJYyWcdDA

zeg

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Hello i am makis 39 years old from Greece.I am sound engineer although I have
done  and other jobs to survive :)
Also as a dj works some years I love vinyl and have a small collection
which growing slowly..
I have read quite a lot  of posts here lately  and i can say I learn things
didn't know  and helps me to understand how  the whole thing works with the
lather cuts machines.So  I am interesting to buy a lather cut machine and
seems the t650 the most affordable solution for me.
As a group with special knowledge on this ,I would appreciated a
lot if you can give me any  advice 8)

nathan_hyland

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:16 am

Hi there
I am Nathan 34 from just outside London England.
Always had dreams to own my own record shop but them days are long gone. Looked into electro plating but have slowly come round to lathe cutting in the past two weeks. There must be 100s of years of experience in this forum and feel honoured to be part of one of the longest running forums on the web.
Yes I am a noob and well probably ask some silly questions from time to time but I would like to think I could also offer advise "the fresh eyes approach". You guys cutting are all artists as music in general is an art what ever you do with it.
Look forward to touching base with a lot of you guys, janitor Steve thanks for the welcome the other week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Elliot

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi Guys!

I am a university student currently studying in my final year Product Design course at Loughborough University (England). As my final year project I have decided to make my own record cutting lathe. I have been researching the technology and watching many videos of peoples examples on youtube, and feel I understand the process reasonably well. But I was wondering if anyone on here has any tips, or valuable information that you feel I would benefit from! I am very interested in those that have made their own home made lathes, as that is what I essentially plan to do.

Any further information you guys have, send to my email elliot.doy@hotmail.co.uk and I would be extremely appreciative!

Cheers,
Elliot

COAV

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 am

Hello Lathe world - trying to get in to Lathe cutting. I'm a producer/songwriter from Utah. Vinyl is simply the best sounding thing I have ever heard, I need to learn the dark arts of cutting.

I have an offer from Souri to go train and get one of his Lathes. Would anyone dissuade me from doing this? I am about to pull the trigger.

nathan_hyland

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:38 am

Lucky man do it!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lathe noob

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Hello every one.
I'm new to record cutting and have lots of questions. From reading some of the posts I am noticing many highly technical answers to questions, so be patient with me. I want to open a studio called "every body and their momma record cutting" .
I look forward to learning as much as possible from you lathe experts out there.
Cheers
LN

Vixylmusic

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 pm

What's up trolls? I joined this forum because it is rad and hope to one day own my own lathe but in the meantime hoping to meet somebody who'd be willing to cut some records for me once or twice a month without having to mortgage my home :P Looking forward to gaining some wisdom from all of ya!