Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Daswolf

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:10 am

Hi I’m nick from Dallas! Just got into this. Looking for something cheaper to start cutting my own records of my music

SquirrelMonkey

Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Hi! I'm Jo. I'm a video editor and Youtuber. I am interested in lathe cuts since I bought the Gakken toy recorder.

h3ndrix

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:41 pm

Hello! Mastering engineer here. Been exclusively working in digital but aim to move into cutting once I have access to a lathe to learn more through experience. Either DMM or non. Also picked up Perfect Groove in hopes of getting somewhere. Any advice is preemptively appreciated.

mjs

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 am

Hi Im MJS new to cutting.....recentley bought a Atom A-101..... that needs some work fixing up....but im not in a rush! looking forward to the leaning curve
Greetings!

andyburnout

Thu May 13, 2021 8:16 am

I knew I’d end up here, I used to snooping around for maybe over a decade ago but didn’t have the money to ever be in a position to buy a lathe. But recently I was explaining how cool lathes were and how they work ect and realised I should really think about getting one. Strangely I decided to look up the phonocut and see how the production was going and it it ever happened, to my surprise in my google search I can across the gakken, my dream became a reality. I hope it’s not my first lathe, it has been really fun.

davidstp

Sat May 22, 2021 3:22 pm

Total newbie here. I am in Montreal, Canada, and currently restoring a Masco RK-5 machine! Looking for info!

Flash

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:47 pm

hello to you all. My name is Stu i bought the VinylRecorder T560 in 2017, after 3 months of waiting for it to arrive, i didn't have a clue what to do, everything i did went wrong for example first time i used it i blew the fuses on the cutter head but didn't even know there was fuses, by 2018 io packed it away it made me really depressed i couldn't even look at it.
i had no replies from Souri about my problems so the point is i stuck at it read 100s os posts on this site realized the problems i had where common and i set everything back up, changed some of the rack and now it is running better than it was in Germany. Thanks Lathe Trolls

Marshall Sound

Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi all,
New lathe dad here...... an old overhead with what I think is an Audax cutting head. So far I have mounted the overhead on a Technics SL1800 with a plinth I made out of plywood. So far I have only been marginally successful some noisy 7' flexi's but I am also unsure if the cutting stylus is right (I feel it's too short). I will have questions..... Glad to be here..
Amos

stayouttamyshed

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:18 pm

Hello everybody! I'm an electrical engineer and somebody who spends hours in his garage experimenting. I'm very passionate about music and used to rebuild wire recorders, radios, and reel to reel tape recorders for fun. A long time ago I built a very simple (and very flawed) lathe using old tape recorder parts and a cutterhead made from cheap transducers. It sucked! I'm here to learn everything I can so I can attempt to have a second go at designing one of these things ;).

tomspirals

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:07 pm

Easy everybody :)

My names Tom Spirals , im from scotland ... Looking to learn how to cut records! Looking to learn how to use. T560 Lathe, a friend of mine has one and is keen to get it up and running.

jonniecats

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:34 pm

Hey guys I'm Jon, I do stuff with digital audio for my job and I'm interested in how things are done on vinyl. I'm mostly here to lurk and see what others are up to!

manj3000

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi I'm Manj and i am looking at buying a T560 to do short runs, unless you can advise of something else? looking forward to learning the tricks of the trade.

Swewax

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:00 am

Hey there, I opperate a small but modern pressing plant in Europe. I depend on you guys.

rocketmark

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Hey all! New here and can’t wait to start making my own mistakes :-) i’m shopping for a good entry lathe right now.

digitaldread

Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:21 am

Hello Im a newbie to all of this.
I need a bit of help is the company vinyl recorder is it still running as i have had no luck getting hold of them.
I want to purchase the T560.
Your help would be great.
Regards
digitaldread

thelastdaysofpompeii

Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:55 pm

Hey I'm Ru from Scotland. Really interesting in cutting my own records - no lathe yet. Looking to get improve my knowledge of record-cutting from the community!

Anonymousic

Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi, I'm interested in Master production (the nitrocellulose disk people record onto). I'm also starting a vynil collection, mainly Jazz and Funk.
Eager to learn.

behe696

Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:34 pm

hi, i am interested to found lathe cutter from europe because shipping is salty out from eu.
seeking small press deal 20 copies 7"

newcross

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:11 am

Hello!

My name is Chris, and I've worked in the plating/galvanic side for over 2 years. I've already found this forum be incredibly helpful, and I appreciate all your wisdom! Thank you very much all!!!! Looking forward to learning more about the process, and passing along any insight I've gained in my short time working in the biz!

norego_masterbuilder

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:24 am

Hey Crew
I'm starting out building a lathe in Brisbane, Australia. I run a creative warehouse space where we put on DIY gigs and art exhibitions (KEPK). My background is split between my audio project (Unregistered Master Builder) and visual art practice (generally I work in animation and make large scale tufted carpets). What drew me to lathe cut vinyl is the mad combination of engineering skills and the opportunity to do something incredibly difficult and also that I will most likely fail. The approach I am taking is that this will be an artistic endeavour first and foremost. If I can get half decent I'll be able to help artists in my area to make small runs on various materials that I can source from here. It's
moderately difficult to get anything from overseas here at the moment but it's definitely worth a crack.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. It's an absolute treasure trove.