Apollo plant fire.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Maistrow

Apollo plant fire.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:10 pm

The Apollo lacquer disk plant in Banning burnt down today. Here is a link;
https://patch.com/california/banning-beaumont/fire-rips-through-banning-commercial-structure

[Note by admin: If you wish, there is now a separate section for discussing the Apollo situation that will only be viewable by members who are logged in.]

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewforum.php?f=34

jamesk

Re: Apollo, Transco plant fire.

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:46 am

This really sucks. In a perfect world Apollo licenses or even better open sources their process/formula so the industry doesn't suffer too much.

andybee

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 am

there are thousends of jobs behind the laquer manufacturing process!

emorritt

Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:57 pm

Yes, it would be nice to have both the Audiodisc and the Transco formulas, but the equipment is a major undertaking. Much more than just having the formulae. How do you even get in touch with MDC? Never seen a website or other information.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:30 pm

I'm stickying this topic. I don't even know how to begin to take in this information.

Has anyone here talked to Sam and Terry? I just talked to Sam a week ago.
Apollo message 2020 02.jpg
"To all our wonderful customers. It is with great sadness we report the Apollo Masters manufacturing and storage facility had a devastating fire and was completely destroyed. The best news is all of our employees are safe. We are uncertain of our future at this point and are evaluating options as we try to work through this difficult time. Thank you for all of the support over the years and the notes of encouragement and support we have received from you all."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SopranoC

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:13 pm

As I wrote in other posts, I heard about a new company in italy ready to produce lacquers discs.
Hope this helps to solve the problem.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:52 pm

I have set up a separate section for discussing the Apollo situation that will only be viewable by members who are logged in:

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewforum.php?f=34

Scroll down below the announcements and you'll see the topic(s).

I don't know if this is necessary, and eventually I may combine any threads there with the other "Members Only" section. Still, this seems like a good option. Of course it's fine to keep posting in this thread too.

luke13

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:26 am

I am in contact with the italian company that work to re-activate an old plant to produce laquers and probably will be ready in 2-3 months. They will make a limited production, probably no more than 1000 pcs in one year. Talking to our customers' pressing plants managers this fact will bring:
- increase of prices of the records pressed
- increase of the minimum order quantity of records pressed. The idea is to increase the minimum number of pieces that can be ordered, it will be difficult to press 50-100 pieces and probably it will go to a minimum of 300-500 pieces. This could be very interesting for those of us who produce small press runs.
-Someone talks about returning to the DMM currently used by a few (if I'm not mistaken, the GZ does it)

SopranoC

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:47 am

Spoke with the Italian company, name is www.mvmasters.it

Maistrow

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:53 pm

This site has been hacked. Here is a message I got when I clicked on the link;

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www.mvmasters.it. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

handcut

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:36 pm

Maistrow wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:53 pm
This site has been hacked. Here is a message I got when I clicked on the link;

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to www.mvmasters.it. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.
More often than not that appears because the security certificate has expired so I went ahead and clicked through. You're not missing much:
MV_Masters.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SopranoC

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:36 pm

I saw, but wrote an email and they said that in few weeks everything will be ready, website too

Aussie0zborn

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:19 pm

luke13 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:26 am
I am in contact with the italian company that work to re-activate an old plant to produce laquers and probably will be ready in 2-3 months. They will make a limited production, probably no more than 1000 pcs in one year.
Are you sure their target is 1,000 pieces per year? At USD $40 each, that wouldn’t cover the rent or even one salary. Please confirm.

saff

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:49 pm

The email I received from them claimed 25K discs per month. I'll believe it when I see it etc but that would be great, assuming they are good lacquers. Time will tell.
Carl Saff
Saff Mastering, LLC
http://www.saffmastering.com

misjah

Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 am

How many did Apollo make per month? (before QC rejected 50%)

luke13

Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:52 am

My contact is not MV Masters, I don't know this company and if they can produce laquers or not. Produce laquers is not simple and I think you know how many process and steps needs to produce one single disc. There is no new industrial plants to produce this product. Need to find a company that have an older machine and reactivate it. I am in a direct contact with an italian company that works to re-active an old industrial line to produce laquers.
For a good part of the production we already have a supply contract for some of our customers in Europe, while for the remaining part of production it will be free to be sold to those who need it. When the production line is fully operational, we will know how many laquers will be available for purchase.When we will have good news we will informe you.

Aussie0zborn

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:33 am

luke13 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:52 am
I am in a direct contact with an italian company that works to re-active an old industrial line to produce laquers.
I hope this is correct. I started cutting records in the mid '80s and there were no lacquers coming out of Italy since then.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 pm

I'm unsticky-ing this topic. I figure, it's been a year.