Rapid vertical movement w VR

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jonoaustin

Rapid vertical movement w VR

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:23 pm

Wondering if any one has seen this before. I have 3 VR's. Been cutting with 2 of them for about 6 years, I guess. Added the 3rd a couple months ago. One of them started exhibiting this behavior a couple weeks ago - couldn't figure it out so I took it out of commission. Now another one is doing exactly the same thing, so it's dead in the water too. Souri has no idea what could be causing this.

Outer diameter on 12" - outer 1" or so - the cutter head is cutting unmodulated grooves that rapidly go deeper and shallower....like 1-4mil. As the head moves toward the center of the record, it becomes stable. I've swapped out styli, cutter heads, main units, turntables, groove controller on/off, stylus heat on/off, external motor/belt on/off. Plate measures perfectly flat as it rotates with a pressure gauge. The change in depth has happening very quickly - maybe a couple times per inch of rotation.

Anybody see anything like this before?

j
Jon Niess
Austin Signal
https://www.austinsignal.com/retro

tragwag

Re: Rapid vertical movement w VR

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 pm

having a similar issue from time to time over here, it's been due to blanks and too much head weight.
I back off just a touch and it fixes itself.
this problem only happens on my 2nd VR, where the spring/dashpot is in worse shape
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

jonoaustin

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Thank you.
Jon Niess
Austin Signal

jonoaustin

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:47 am

tragwag wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 pm
having a similar issue from time to time over here, it's been due to blanks and too much head weight.
I back off just a touch and it fixes itself.
this problem only happens on my 2nd VR, where the spring/dashpot is in worse shape
Tried varying weight lighter and heavier - no improvement. Anybody else have any ideas?
Jon Niess
Austin Signal

SueDenim

Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:07 am

As you have the luxury of having multiple VRs :) I'd start by comparing the dash pot on the problem one against the dash pot on the good lathe.
Do they look the same?
Is the spring in the same position, top and bottom of the cylinder?
Is the plunger contacting the sides or is there any additional friction?
Have you tried rebalancing the head from scratch?
I might even try a test cut without the dash pot active at all (after rebalancing the main rear counter weight to give an 11g cutting force of course!) - is the problem still there/the same/different?? etc.

Best of luck!

jonoaustin

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:51 pm

SueDenim wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:07 am
As you have the luxury of having multiple VRs :) I'd start by comparing the dash pot on the problem one against the dash pot on the good lathe.
Do they look the same?
Is the spring in the same position, top and bottom of the cylinder?
Is the plunger contacting the sides or is there any additional friction?
Have you tried rebalancing the head from scratch?
I might even try a test cut without the dash pot active at all (after rebalancing the main rear counter weight to give an 11g cutting force of course!) - is the problem still there/the same/different?? etc.

Best of luck!
Thanks. Both DP's are in good shape, seem to be operating effectively.. Good idea though, trying it with disabling the dashpot completely. Will give it a go. Thank you again. J
Jon Niess
Austin Signal

2bitcomputer

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:37 pm

You've probably already checked this but is your lead screw well lubricated?
If I let my VR go too long between lubrication, I can see unusual patterns in my grooves.

trailerparkjesus

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:33 pm

I also have this happening recently on one VR. Tried everything, new oil in dash, rebalancing, more weight less weight, oil screw... still happens every 10 records or so. It will dig deep then bounce out (not out of phase ever). I need to check stability of the bearing inside the TT. Maybe since running a heavy platter for so long its caused some kind of irregularity with the TT. Also check any resonances that might be translating through the mechanics causing a low end spike... my veneers I made were touching my work bench so I lifted them up a bit so there is isolation in case of rogue vibrations. If you havent cleaned your feedscrew, I'd do that and re oil. I just took a cloth and ran the motor while holding it to it then re oil, LOTS of dirt.

theinhabitant

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 pm

What are you guys lubricating the lead screw with?

jonoaustin

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:08 am

trailerparkjesus wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:33 pm
I also have this happening recently on one VR. Tried everything, new oil in dash, rebalancing, more weight less weight, oil screw... still happens every 10 records or so. It will dig deep then bounce out (not out of phase ever). I need to check stability of the bearing inside the TT. Maybe since running a heavy platter for so long its caused some kind of irregularity with the TT. Also check any resonances that might be translating through the mechanics causing a low end spike... my veneers I made were touching my work bench so I lifted them up a bit so there is isolation in case of rogue vibrations. If you havent cleaned your feedscrew, I'd do that and re oil. I just took a cloth and ran the motor while holding it to it then re oil, LOTS of dirt.
Ok thanks. Did any of this work? I have 2 machines doing it....not every 10 records, but all the time. I’m going to try to clean the screw further. I oiled them once every couple weeks over the last 5 years. Seemed fine. Newest machine (less than a year) doing fine, no problem. The vertical movement is limited to the outer 1” or so and the movement is very rapid. Like a couple cycles per inch. The cut depth seems to vary 3-4 mils. If the weight is light, then 0-3, with heavier weight 2-5, etc.
Jon Niess
Austin Signal

trailerparkjesus

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 am

I just separated the veneer from touching so time will tell on that. First biggest thing to check is the precision platter (platter run out), make sure there are no sudden slope then drop in the level when testing with the pressure gauge. Do you order from MyShank? Maybe we all are experiencing a bad batch of records that are effected by some lathe set ups? No offense steven, just ruling out everything!

Tyler might be right in maybe we need to test doing the weight differently on some set ups, maybe lighter counter weight.

Also make sure all moving points are clean and oiled. One to check is the ring that the copper spacer slides into on the dash, if that is sticky from old oil or residue that can cause the dash not to operate consistently.

These are all checks Ive done and it doesn't happen as often anymore, hoping next stylus change eliminates completely. We always wish we could just do the "have you tried restarting the computer/router?" trick with the t560 :D

jonoaustin

Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:59 am

it's happening w both shank and souri blanks. black, clear, etc. so I don't think it's the blanks. with regard to platter - I check level of the carriage arm and then the platter each day. Getting no runout, etc., and the grooves are perfect after the first outer inch. It just seems like it has to be something in the screw at the first-inch location...some grime or something? Going to keep cleaning there and see of that helps.
Jon Niess
Austin Signal

trailerparkjesus

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:06 pm

My thought too a couple weeks ago, maybe i didnt clean mine enough. Was thinking it hits a spot in the screw with crud and digs then lifts up. I noticed it in a similar region on my discs too.

Let me know if/how it goes away!

2bitcomputer

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:53 am

Maybe you guys have already tried this but, repositioning the "screw cylinder" in the uprights might help rule in or rule out the problem of a "bad screw area".
If you loosen the uprights you can slide the "screw cylinder" an inch or so further Left - if the screw is the problem, then the head oscillations should move the same amount further into the disc.

Seems like you might have something binding somewhere...?

jonoaustin

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:22 am

That’s a really good idea. Thanks!
Jon Niess
Austin Signal

tragwag

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:49 pm

2bitcomputer wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:53 am
Maybe you guys have already tried this but, repositioning the "screw cylinder" in the uprights might help rule in or rule out the problem of a "bad screw area".
If you loosen the uprights you can slide the "screw cylinder" an inch or so further Left - if the screw is the problem, then the head oscillations should move the same amount further into the disc.

Seems like you might have something binding somewhere...?
Oh wow I never thought of that! I took one of my VRs apart because the pins holding the halfnut fell out :oops:
Now that I'm looking, I put it back together with the screw cylinder 2-3 inches offset from my other VR
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

rubenr

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:22 pm

try whit diferent degree inclination.. I haved this problem to, 2 week before. And was that. :)

e3sa934

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:50 pm

@jonoaustin ... did you resolve this?

I think I might have a similar problem, getting groove patterns like this, then ending up with a swarf spill. No music being cut, just the cutting head moving over the blank:

I've swapped diamonds, lubricated the screw, applied De-oxit to the groove controller pot, and recalibrated the cutting head. I'll try repositioning the screw cylinder as suggested by @2bitcomputer tomorrow.

Otherwise, any further thoughts, please?

handcut

Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am

e3sa934 wrote:

I think I might have a similar problem, getting groove patterns like this, then ending up with a swarf spill. No music being cut, just the cutting head moving over the blank:

I've swapped diamonds, lubricated the screw, applied De-oxit to the groove controller pot, and recalibrated the cutting head. I'll try repositioning the screw cylinder as suggested by @2bitcomputer tomorrow.

Try cleaning & relubricating the turntable bearing. This looks a lot like a resonance issue I had some years ago. I replaced the bearing and it fixed the issue, but then a couple of years of heavy cutting later it came back and strip, clean, relube fixed it. The thrust pad on a 12xx is prone to pitting, especially if you use the prescision platter.

e3sa934

Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:04 am

handcut wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am
e3sa934 wrote:

Try cleaning & relubricating the turntable bearing. This looks a lot like a resonance issue I had some years ago. I replaced the bearing and it fixed the issue, but then a couple of years of heavy cutting later it came back and strip, clean, relube fixed it. The thrust pad on a 12xx is prone to pitting, especially if you use the prescision platter.
Hmm, I'm running with a brand new 1200GR with no precision platter - do I need to adjust? Further to my initial post I've re-lubricated the screw and applied more De-Oxit to the groove control pot, and also moved the screw cylinder 4cm to the right - just about as far as it will go. I've also fitted a brand new diamond stylus and recalibrated ... and now I seem to have cured the problem (touch wood)