Power Conditioner Advice!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

Power Conditioner Advice!

Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 am

I'm looking to get a power conditioner for my VR set up, I'm looking at a Furman PL-8 CE and wondered if anyone had any experience with this, or even the model up, the Furman PL-Plus CE. Or is there alternative I should be looking at? Due to my electrics at my house unfortunately I can not get the lathe on its own ring to help with earth loops and hum so looking down this route.

I know the cheaper models are just glorified surge protecters, but has anyone used this range with LIFT (Linear Filtering Technology) noise filtration.

Thanks!

markrob

Re: Power Conditioner Advice!

Fri May 22, 2020 11:11 am

Hi,

No experience with that unit. Looks like it might help, but don't expect miracles. The price is not too bad and I assume you would have the ability to return it if it does not improve things. Do you think your problem is line noise created by devices external to your setup? Or, is it just bad grounding and shielding within your devices?

PMST

Sat May 23, 2020 2:20 am

I think its noise form external devices, the lathe isnt on its own ring so my mastering studio set up is also on the same ring, so assuming just some kind of ground loop. It isnt actually a huge problem but jut hoping this can help even if just a little. i will go for it i think and see hoe it goes....

trailerparkjesus

Mon May 25, 2020 9:51 am

Your amps and computer supply are grounded and other devices aren't causing interference most likely. A power conditioner doesnt help much honestly.

Ways I've found to fix is:
1. Get a UPS battery for better isolation between certain devices. This is a technique in the hi-fi world.
2. Get a ground loop eliminator and run your RCA through it to filter the noise out (easiest, but opinions vary)
3. Ground lift your amp and computer (or a combination of others). Some say dangerous so proceed with CAUTION! EBTECH has a safe lift, has mixed results.

PMST

Tue May 26, 2020 4:20 am

Thanks! I actually run the lathe and parts (amps/meters etc) from a APC Back-UPS 850VA. I tried a ART DTI hum eliminator but it caused a weird noise, maybe i need to look into a better model?

My set up is extremely simple, it is AUDIO PLAYER - AMP - CUTTER HEAD so should be easily sorted. To be honest it isnt very noticeable and not really affecting cuts at all, but i just want to eliminate it completely if possible. I tried the ART DTI between player and amp, but it just made a very loud harsh, constant noise....

trailerparkjesus

Tue May 26, 2020 1:00 pm

I use furman stuff, one in my recording studio with LIFT and seems to work fine. Always good to get one, used monster ones come cheap on eBay

They make a bunch of filters, even jensen has an expensive one. Got to just do the buy and try dance for a while, most companies are pretty lenient on returns now a days. I usually by 2-3 options at once, then test them all, return the others.