Do you like diamonds?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

subkontrabob

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 am

@aaron:

The AES Disk recording anthology contains IIRC some articles on stylus shape etc

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=796&mforum=lathetrolls

The Adamant brochure that I scanned and posted a few months ago has some technical drawings of the different stylus types:

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=1839&mforum=lathetrolls

mossboss

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:21 am

fraggle wrote:@ motorino this link is actually very interesting http://www.technodiamant.nl/
Mossy if i get that right what you said before to get the right diamonds is the problem?
don't you think it would be easier to grind them down to a square shape, solder or glue it on the shaft and then cut the angle? so without having that little shank where the vinylium diamond is mounted on?
I f you have the gear i would like to try it when you get back if you don't mind:) I understand it is difficult to find the right side for the cut..
but do you think it is possible to get the right quality of diamonds?
cheers mate
Hey It has been done by the thousounds It is not new It is just COSTLY
You can get the grain right but you have to SELECT the stones to cut and for that you need a LOT so as to choose the right ones
So you will finish up with stones that you have paid for and cannot use
If you just cut and polish with a very good guess as to the suitability than it is pot luck which seems what they are doing
Than by default you will have incosistent results which is what people are experiencing right now
You get one that does 200 custs and one that does not even do one or may be two and you never know when you are buying it
There fore the 200 odd euro cost which in my view it is almost justified if you where to get the right stone If a dud well than it is not which is something that people should focus on
Now for any one that wants to go scribers go for it
Another waste of time but a lot better than a wilson gay setup with an astatic cutter at the end of the arm
Than again whats the point (diamond???) :lol:
Cheers
Chris

aaron

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Is diamond really the only material that will cut polycarbonate? If diamonds are so hard to get, and so expensive, and all these other ideas that have been posted here are a "waste of time", is there something else that could be used that may be cheaper to facet/machine for cutting pc?

mossboss

Diamonds

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:01 am

Hey Aaron
Lets get it right Diamonds are not really that expensive It is just the process one goes through to get a stylus out of them plus the loss of cutting the rough stones selecting the right ones etc etc etc
So the yield out of a "parcel" the way you buy them is not very high therefore the cost
Now here is a long shot
The Germans have produced an artificial stone by heating at 2260 C and under very high pressure some nanofibers that are harder than diamond
They resemble a football after the have formed a stone
They will easily scratch any diamond like diamnond does to glass
So here you are there is something better and different 8)
In so far as cutting other than diamond may be you want to see the various post's here
It has all been attempted with varying degress of success, but as they say Diamond is the real Mc Coy
Cheers
Chris

cymbalism

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:52 am

my bitch about the whole diamond situation is this - if people know that their products may or may not work, then why not offer a replacement for ones that die after a measly 15 cuts?

stand by your product and offer a replacement or discount on the next one if your product is half assed, thats what i say. no one would complain if they knew they were getting a diamond that was guaranteed to work more than one cutting session. like maybe a 30 day warranty or something once it is received that way the companies who supply the stylus are aware that their manufacturer is not doing their job up to par.

it's all quality control, or lack of i should say. i know i wouldn't blink an eyelash if i knew i was spending $350 on something that would work more than the last one did and if it didn't they would replace it - but when you contact the company to order one, they don't reply to you for like a month and when they do, they can't answer a simple email back, why waste your time and money.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

mossboss

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:53 am

All the way with you there man But if you have followed my posts's on this you will see that I am pointing out exactly what should people focus on
Cheers
Chris