Infrared Heat and regular bulb Heat

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

akkord

Infrared Heat and regular bulb Heat

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi, I've noticed from looking online that some lathe owners use regular light bulbs and some use infrared bulbs for warming blank vinyl prior to cutting.

are their any particular benefits to either type? Or are there more efficient techniques for warming vinyl that are worth looking into?

thanks for any input

folk

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:55 pm

I use a heating lamp like that made for reptiles - got it at the pet store and it works great

akkord

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Cheers for the info...

was there a particular reason why you chose the reptile infrared heat?

folk

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:39 am

simply accessibility

d

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:26 am

i think there is need to investigate the difference between incadenscent lamp and IR.

I haven't done any tests but at the moment i use incandescent lamp. This is for light that I need and it heats...

i heard that some materials does not take that heat as good as others.

this is what wiki says. I think it is usefull info

For practical applications, the efficiency of the infrared heater depends on matching the emitted wavelength and the absorption spectrum of the material to be heated. For example, the absorption spectrum for water has its peak at around 3000 nm. This means that emission from medium-wave or carbon infrared heaters are much better absorbed by water and water-based coatings than NIR or short-wave infrared radiation. The same is true for many plastics like PVC or polyethylene. Their peak absorption is around 3500 nm. On the other hand, some metals absorb only in the short-wave range and show a strong reflectivity in the medium and far infrared. This makes a careful selection of the right infrared heater type important for energy efficiency in the heating process.
_______