Are Souri's Blanks really Black?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Are Souri's Blanks really Black?

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:56 am

There has been some discussion here if the discs that Souri sells are actually black or clear layers sandwiched together with a black layer.

People have posted pictures or links to the man cutting a black disc and pulling out chip/swarf that looks white or clear in color. This has been used as proof that the discs are layered.

He cut me a demo disc almost two years ago. It did not appear sandwiched. I looked to be a solid black disc.

I have black Makrolon discs that I've been cutting from Bayer. It is a black piece of plastic. Not sandwiched. The chip comes off white or sort of clear looking. So, the conjecture that his discs are sandwiched is not proved via the color of the chip/swarf. Mine is coming off clear on a black piece of plastic.

Just thought you all might be interested.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

monkey1553

Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks opcode, Still would love to know if these were specially formulated or if this material is a product already available from one of the plastic manufacturers.

-Michael

fraggle

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:23 am

bayer always does that opcode. the surfaces are always clear "plastic"to get that polished look. i called them up a couple of years ago and one of the guys at bayer told me they do that for all colored sheets.
cheers