VU Levels for Piano Music

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Techie

VU Levels for Piano Music

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:32 pm

I have a portable RCA MI12701with a magnetic cutter head and built in electronics, very similar to the Presto K series. I'm getting great results thanks to the advice of the Lathe Trollers. Thanks again.

The instructions state that the VU meter should swing into the green during average recording passages. It then goes on to say, "NOTE: If piano recordings are being made, the needle should not enter the green area of the meter or "overshooting" , a form of distortion, will occur.

It doesn't elaborate beyond that. Considering that the machine could be used to record anything from a single A cappella voice, to a concert orchestra, I don't get the piano issue.

Does anyone know what is different about piano vs anything else? What is overshooting?

Still scratching my head over that one.

maniman

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Im not an expert on that instrument (im not an expert on anything recognize it is the first step ... hehe ) the dynamic and frequential range of that instrument is very very large , are you try to compress in many ways the audio source ? that can be a multipurpose device but you know the compressors of this machine era are COMPRESSORS with capital letters , not ¿?
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

Techie

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:27 pm

My success with this cutter is relatively recent. I sometimes use a computer program to compress, and/or EQ before I cut, sometimes I just go straight to the cutter.

My question is more about why the instructions for a cutter circa 1940 would specify that a piano should be treated differently than any other possible source. Even different styles of piano music vary greatly. I don't understand the blanket statement about piano music distorting.

Angus McCarthy

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:39 pm

It's because the Pianoforte is foremost a percussion instrument. It has a very sharp attack which will not be accurately read by a mechanical meter - the meter will miss the initial punch and register about 6db lower than the true peak. The safest way, then, to record a piano on older equipment without overdriving the amplifier is to reduce the volume to half as loud as you might normally set it, to keep the initial attack from clipping (to use a modern term).

Techie

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:02 pm

:D That makes sense. Thanks! Learn something new every day. The needle is a little sluggish compared to today's meters. Still, I wonder why piano was mentioned and not all percussion in general. Not many drum solos in 1940?

tragwag

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Techie wrote::D That makes sense. Thanks! Learn something new every day. The needle is a little sluggish compared to today's meters. Still, I wonder why piano was mentioned and not all percussion in general. Not many drum solos in 1940?
I would have to say because piano music is normally solo, and up front.
percussion would have been recorded distantly and the transients not so sharp.
I assume listeners of the day would be keen to notice a distorting piano transient, yet not so keen for a sharper drum transient.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Techie

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:53 pm

No wonder sound technology continues to fascinate me. Thanks for the comments.

Also, consider that my cutter is not a piece of professional equipment, and the instructions consist of about 4 paragraphs aimed at Joe Average. The all encompassing statement, "Practice will determine proper adjustment" translates to, "We got you started, you'll get the hang of the rest of it".

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I always hope I can return the gesture.

audadvnc

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 am

Of course the Prestos, as well as all other lathes were designed with intention of recording acoustic music. I think piano, being an acoustic instrument, is a lot easier to record properly than the heavily compressed and digified electronic music we normally encounter nowadays. Look for the loudest section of music and verify you aren't running the grooves into each other, and you'll be all set.

Techie

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:51 am

That's interesting to consider also. I haven't done live recording with a microphone yet. That will be my next attempt.