Hello from me

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Amp Doc

Hello from me

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Hello Im craig 30 I always wanted to cut my own records since I started djing over 14 years ago.Got my self a presto 8N abount a year ago and a grampian head did not know what to do with it and I found this site. It has been invaluable for information on disc cutting. Have now built a cutting amp(work fantastic and am still working on inproving it) and a motor controler. Everybody on hear has been very helpful and now it works and I cut for friends(DJs) would not have been possable without this site.Im a electronics engineer and love building amp and stuff my latest work project is a 4000W Lateral MOSFET 1U amp with switch mode psu and all the frills(Limiter,compresser,overtemp,overload protection using a microcontroler system) but cutting equipment is a VERY dark art but very rewarding. Many thanks for the site....... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
!Work or Bang Time!

mossboss

Cutting and all that

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi Craig, akka Amp Doc
This sounds like "music to my ears" If people cannot tell the difference between the master and your cut you must have reached an extremely high level of proficiency That is something that it is even hard achieved by professionals
We run a Neumann VMS 70 with an SX 74 head driven by an SAL 74 control rack all through an SP 75 control console (we press vinyl for a living)
As well as the above we have the Neumann half speed capability for analogue input it was an option on this system and a Urei half speed control module to do half speed cuts on digital input, Neumann never made one to my knowledge
If you ever trekking around the world and find your self down under let me know
We may let you do a cut or two in a professional environment
By the way I have quite a few used Saphire cutting styli that I am quite happy to send you a couple for gratis so you can mack around with
They had about 20 hours use all with a heating element
I also have all of the electronic circuits as well as the specs for the Neumann gear we use and a lot of other do as well
They are available to you if you wish to have a look at them
So let me know if you want to make an amp as such so as to drive the standard SX 68 or SX 74 cutting heads, as they are both the same electrically
It may be a better choice as there are quite a few interested people around in seeing a modern replacement for their Neumann gear which is getting hard to maintain
I would guess there may be about 100-150 Neumann cutting lathes used around the world now day's
PM me if you wish and good luck with it all
Cheers
Chris

Amp Doc

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:24 am

Hello mossboss It helps that my friends are dance djs and have hearing probs!! but I am well impressed with the setup I have. I only use it to cut tracks for me and friends Im no pro.The amp I built works well it has input gain high/low pass filter on input high/low pass filter and gain on the feedback and a current monitor also has a headphone out switchable for sorce/feedback/output. I am going to add a head protect shortly it sat on my bench as a prototype. The guy who designed the lateral all N channel output stage lives on your side of the world A.holton (assieamplifer). We use this module design in out PA amps I make at work and they sound incrdeble no muddled middles and an crips and clear top and bottom.I think this is why the cut sound well. The guy who pointed me in the direction of what I needed to start cutiing records had a record pressing plant so this helped a lot.I am intrested in the sappires you have Will they fit the Grampian d????If so PM me with a price would help me as I only have 2. One day I would like to run a stereo head just need to save some cash! so the specs and schematics would be helpfull.Many thanks :D :D
!Work or Bang Time!

mossboss

Saphires

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Amp doc
The Saphires are for Gratis that means no money. I do not know whether they will fit the Grampian I did say you will need to muck around with them and by the way any other cutter on this forum who wants one of those I will be happy to oblige as well up to about 10 styli that is all I have to give away
By the way I do not know of this guy personally but I heard his gear as well as his reputation which is that He is a very good designer of amps and they do sound good
Good luck with it all and may I suggest you get another circle of friends with
"normal" hearing for a subjective "hearing" test :wink:
Cheers
Chris