Cutting Room at Motown (Hitsville USA)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

W.B.

Re: Cutting Room at Motown (Hitsville USA)

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:29 am

P.S. Randy Kling wasn't the only one of the RCA Chicago mastering engineers who handled Motown masters, to later transfer to another RCA studio. There was another mastering engineer there whose signature looked like an upside-down version of Columbia's "Lp" logo, who by the mid-1970's was working out of RCA's Hollywood studios, cutting records by artists such as John Denver.

emidisc

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:52 am

I am pretty sure there is still a cutting lathe in the Hitsville Museum on West Grand in Detroit
when Berry Gordy bought nearby rival Golden World Records this would became Hitsville studio B
they had previously had there own lathe but I am not sure of the model but at one point both studios were recording motown classics virtually 24/7 usually with the same house band the legendry FUNK BROTHERS
a good website for info on all of this and more is SOULFUL DETROIT with virtual tours of many of the big detroit studios of the 60s and 70s.
and I would imagine lathe troll forum member Chris King could add more has he as worked with many of the big detroit artists,

Emidisc

W.B.

Tue May 07, 2013 8:49 pm

I am curious as to who at Motown's Hitsville studios' mastering section "LENNY" would have been. (That name was on many lacquers cut by this person on some late '60's / early '70's Motown 45's.)