Stereo cutter? 4 wires feeding cutter head

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

pcorvaia

Stereo cutter? 4 wires feeding cutter head

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:55 am

Hello everyone. I would first like to say thank you for this wonderful site. This is my first post on here, but I have been reading posts on here for a bit. I am very glad this site exists.

I have been wanted to cut records for a long time. I first had my own music pressed to vinyl back in 2001, soon after I started producing music. Well, it was a bit premature, as the quality of the music was trash--I now have 400 copies of this record sitting in boxes since I could only get rid of 100...basically for free.

Anyhow. Fast forward a few years and I finally decided to purchase a cutter that I found on eBay. I have seen many on there, but I never felt that any were right for me (i.e. I couldn't afford them). The one I found, which I am sure some of you have seen, is here:

ebay auction

I have not yet received the cutting styli as was listed, but have been in contact with the seller and should be receiving them soon. They are steel styli, so I will be experimenting with these before purchasing sapphire or diamond, etc.

Now, here is my question: I asked the seller if this is a mono or stereo cutter. He had said that cutters of this time were pretty much mono. I was ok with this answer as it was the answer I was expecting. However, there are 4 four wires feeding the cutter head. Why are there 4? I though that there would only be the positive and negative for a single channel. The images that I have looked at on Google show 2 wires feeding the Presto 6N.

Which leads me to another question. This is a Presto 6N is it not? What it seems to lack is gear cover on the left side. So, although everything else looks like a 6N, I cannot be 100% sure.

Here are some photos (the photos were taken before I remove the plastic ties):

I would appreciate any and all advice/comments. Thanks!

Peter

Angus McCarthy

Re: Stereo cutter? 4 wires feeding cutter head

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:16 am

Well, that's definitely a 1-C or 1-D head (with no model badge) and they are, of course, mono heads. Best guess is that two of them were intended to feed a stylus heater. A Picture of the underside of the head would tell a lot more.