piezoelectric pre phono

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

studiorp

piezoelectric pre phono

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Hello all, tonight I have discovered a thing that could be many inetersting : I have an old Sony Hst-388 solid-state receiver with 8 track player, all in one.
All works but the pre phono nothing, only a very little sound from a nonrmal mm pickup.
I thought that were broken some pieces inside, instead after many check with oscilloscope and other equipment I have discovered that this amp works only with piezo pickups, but the thing more incredible for me has been when for a my mistake, I have inserted the line out from a cd player into phono rca. Now normally when this happen, the sound is distorted, but in this case the sound was pratically the same of a inverted riaa. It's possible ?

dubcutter89

Re: piezoelectric pre phono

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Yes, that's normal.
Cristall Pickups already have quite high output voltage and they are sensitive to the recorded amplitude rather then velocity
(as mm or mc pickups), and therfore don't need RIAA correction (ok, there's a high freq attenuation but not as much...)
If you have a cristall pickup it should also be possible to connect it to line input of a normal mixer...

Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

studiorp

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:24 am

Could be possible use this system for record cutting ?

Angus McCarthy

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 am

Any amplifier can be used to drive a cutting head - provided it matches the impedance and has enough headroom to cut at a listenable level without distorting.