vibrations from road into your space where lathe is setup

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dietrich10

vibrations from road into your space where lathe is setup

Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:39 pm

complicated subject title i know!

trying to find place to move my studio now that i have the vms70.
worried about vibrations while cutting etc.

space 1: building on main road(small town). road/sidewalk front door.
lathe would be in concrete basement floor 15 ft off the road of so.
some neoprene cushioning at the corners etc

space 2: 3 buildings away from train tracks.

other spaces i am not worried about vibrations(3 and 4)

any insight??
thanks
D
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

grooveguy

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:28 pm

You may or may not have a problem. Does a pan of water show ripples from these vibrations? If so, you're in trouble, although even if it doesn't you still could get low frequency groove modulation. RCA used to 'float' their lathes at Rockefeller Center; evidently the throbbing subway two floors below street level carried through the steel structure to the upper floors. Your neoprene idea will effect a low-pass filter for higher-order vibration, but low-end rumble will come through anyway. A good way to check this is by wedging a ribbon microphone against the cellar wall with a concrete block... good coupling to the building itself. Pipe the mic through an amp and watch the speaker cone when "...the train comes rumblin' through."