M.S.S. Cutting Head

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

railwayhotel

M.S.S. Cutting Head

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi there, congrats on such a wicked forum; just bought an M.S.S. cutter from (I guess)) the 50's and it has no cutting head. I'm not hopeful of buying a replacement, tho I did consider taking it into Curry's and just asking them for a laugh...but does anyone know anything at all about the spec of such a head and whether one could be re-created?

powerstrip

Re: M.S.S. Cutting Head

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:37 pm

lets see a picture

You can mount almost any head anywhere, but it depends on the carrier and how it is shaped. most mono heads are interchangeable from overhead to overhead without a ton of problems

railwayhotel

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:08 pm

This is a youtube of a working model which shows the head...ours plays back fine so all is not lost I guess, head in vid looks quite involved..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p_dIMPyPtQ

Angus McCarthy

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:44 pm

A very interesting design! I think you could manage to fit one of the flat RCA heads in such a carriage.

railwayhotel

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Really, that's great, I'll have a look for one, cheers!

fusionkid

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi Railwayhotel, thanks for posting that vid, it's the first time i've seen another MSS lathe. I have one i bought a couple of years ago that's very similar to the one in the video.
My one here: https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=2238
The cutting heads are probably the same.
I reckon you could have a pop at making a copy of this head, it's not that complicated. Although it will take some thought and improvisation i think it's doable without breaking the bank.
It could take years to find another MSS cutting head like that.
You can look to the hobby engineering sector to find someone to manufacture parts

Interesting to see that brush-arm, my arm came with a suction tube attached to it but it didn't seem right!

railwayhotel

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi fusionkid, thanks for your comments, have you used your MSS at all, if so, do you need to obtain/make metal acetates or can it be adapted to cut dubplates (at 78rpm)