Glass and Crystal Records

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

DjMikiRia

Glass and Crystal Records

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:47 pm

I have been exhaustively researching the concept of creating glass records with my lathe. They only existed at the very birth of the medium but were quickly phased out. I ask about this due to the substance (glass) being far more resistant to scratches unlike vinyl and poly-carbonate. Any advice would be helpful, or even to tell me it may be so difficult a task I should not explore it. A 1000*F turntable may required.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Glass and Crystal Records

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Well, having seen glassblowers work, I can say that at the very least it is an incredibly dangerous idea. But from my understanding of how melted glass behaves, it might not even be possible.

I am unaware of "glass records," beyond ones which had a glass substrate instead of aluminum (prevalent during World War II, I assume because aluminum was at a premium). In other words, they were radio transcription acetates with a different core, which was quite prone to breaking.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:15 pm

BUT....if you have been researching this....please share your research! there may be things I don't know about here.

Angus McCarthy

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Powerstrip brought up this idea in an Experimenter's thread a while back:

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4143