Adhesive for Lexan picture disk sandwich

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

marchingband

Adhesive for Lexan picture disk sandwich

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Hey all.
Does anyone know a good adhesive for making picture disk sandwiches? I'm using .020 lexan and printing the images on cardstock, I have tried so many glues, but nothing makes a perfect transparent seal without bubbling, wrinkling, yellowing, etc. :cry:
thanks!

marchingband

Re: Adhesive for Lexan picture disk sandwich

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:54 pm

The link below shows the MyShank laminator used for making picture disks. I would love to know what materials (pockets?) are used with these kits.

http://www.myshank.com/fr/miscellaneous/66-kit-for-picture-disc.html

Would you be willing to share your methods @myshank?
Many would be grateful I'm sure :D seems like a very elegant solution.
yo

Graham B.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:10 pm

I use Loctite spray adhesive. It does dry a little cloudy but bonds to non-permiable surfaces. You do need to be careful to keep the tip fresh or else it will come out more as blobs and less as a mist. If it's applied evenly it can look pretty sharp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piaptk

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 pm

3M Super 77 works well for me... Available at Office Max for $16 a can... but like Graham said, you have to keep the nozzle clean when you are done by turning it upside down and spraying it until nothing comes out.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com