Lathe Cut Camp! Tucson, August 2-4, 2015

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Lathe Cut Camp! Tucson, August 2-4, 2015

Fri May 15, 2015 4:11 pm

I happened through Nashville during Welcome to 1979's "Tape Camp", and it inspired me to do a similar thing for the DIY lathe cut enthusiast. So, I am! Here are the details!

Book here! http://www.LatheCutCamp.com

Spend three days in scenic Tucson, AZ learning (almost) everything you need to know about DIY Record Cutting! The focus of this camp will be on mono "semi-professional" machines, with particular focus on Presto 6Ns, which are one of the most common and affordable vintage machines around. You can do some amazing things with these incredible machines, and I will show you how. Bring your own music and we will put it onto discs for you to take home. We will touch on professional record mastering/pressing, but my main interest and experience, and the focus of this camp will be on the more DIY and experimental side of the hobby. There are only 8 spots available, so buy early!

Perfect if you are interested in:
Vinyl records and how their masters are cut
Learning how this strange black art works
Buying a lathe to make your own records
Ordering lathe cuts from a lathe cut service
Cutting your own music to disc

Topics covered:
The science behind vinyl record cutting
Lathe Operations and equipment
The pressing process
Lacquer dub plate cutting
Experimental and alternative materials (plexiglass, laserdiscs, picnic plates, etc)

ADD ONS:
Potluck Audio Conference (Formerly Tapeop Convention): This incredible audio conference is full of recording and music industry professionals coming together to share information and have a good time. This takes place the Friday and Saturday before Lathe Cut Camp and has offered Lathe Cut Camp Attendees a special rate, only $40 for a two day pass that includes keynote speakers, panels, tradeshows, live musical performances, Casita Gear Crawl, and plenty more. Some food and beer is included.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

socialroots

Re: Lathe Cut Camp! Tucson, August 2-4, 2015

Sat May 16, 2015 2:10 pm

This sounds too wicked,big of you to be sharing all your experience and insight to the lathe game,wish i could get myself into a crash course like that, nothing like learning by onhand experience! hope oneday you can do this over here in Asia somewhere. Maximum respect PIAPTK!

sunkingrecords

Sat May 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Amazing! I'd love to be there but I'm too far. Any chance of repeating it in January after Winter NAMM? (I'll be in the US by then)

Kind regards
I choose not to run .-

piaptk

Sun May 24, 2015 6:01 pm

I may! We will see how this one goes!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

sunkingrecords

Thu May 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Great! Good luck! 8)
I choose not to run .-

electronrancher