Frank Sinatra's Palm Springs lathe

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

markrob

Re: Frank Sinatra's Palm Springs lathe

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Deke,

You have been finding some amazing pictures. Keep it coming. But I don't see a Rek-o-Kut lathe. I see a turntable. Looks to me like it handled transcription discs. Maybe the system was playback only so he could listen to air checks, studio dubs, and commercial releases. Could the lathe be elsewhere?

Mark

Deke Dickerson

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Good point! They referenced a Rek O Kut lathe in the article, and I thought that perhaps the turntable in question was just missing it's overhead carriage. But you're right, it might just be a Rek O Kut transcription turntable, not sure....

Deke

Stevie342000

Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:17 am

Deke Dickerson wrote:Good point! They referenced a Rek O Kut lathe in the article, and I thought that perhaps the turntable in question was just missing it's overhead carriage. But you're right, it might just be a Rek O Kut transcription turntable, not sure....

Deke

I think the turntable is a Rek-O-Kut 743 ( I may be out on the model number) but not 100% sure. If it is only 2 speed that would date its design to circa 1948 pre-dating RCA's 45 rpm disc format.

If you check out vinyl exchange (I think it is called) there are lots of period flyers for Rek-O-Kut.

That deck was available as a turntable and the cutter carriage was a separate item, it served two purposes. It may have come with an M5-S - there were two versions of that one with crank handle for lead in and lead out groove and the other obviously not.

Sinatra's set up is interesting, it is not a regular domestic high end system (other than the tuner) but more high end studio based equipment in a domestic set up. It would not have been cheap but interesting to see that they did not treat the room to make it more acceptable for recording and replay.

Stevie342000

Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:36 am

Stevie342000 wrote:
Deke Dickerson wrote:Good point! They referenced a Rek O Kut lathe in the article, and I thought that perhaps the turntable in question was just missing it's overhead carriage. But you're right, it might just be a Rek O Kut transcription turntable, not sure....

Deke

If you check out vinyl exchange (I think it is called) there are lots of period flyers for Rek-O-Kut.

It's not Vinyl Exchange that is a record store here in Manchester that has been around for decades, it's vinyl engine.

concretecowboy71

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:25 am

Wow. That is cool!
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

basplin

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Stevie342000 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:17 am

Deke

I think the turntable is a Rek-O-Kut 743 ( I may be out on the model number) but not 100% sure. If it is only 2 speed that would date its design to circa 1948 pre-dating RCA's 45 rpm disc format.

That deck was available as a turntable and the cutter carriage was a separate item, it served two purposes. It may have come with an M5-S - there were two versions of that one with crank handle for lead in and lead out groove and the other obviously not.

Sinatra's set up is interesting, it is not a regular domestic high end system (other than the tuner) but more high end studio based equipment in a domestic set up. It would not have been cheap but interesting to see that they did not treat the room to make it more acceptable for recording and replay.
Rek-O-Kut yes, but that's not a 743. That looks like either a G2 or a Model V, one of their 16" turntables, which pairs with the M5.