Neumann AM32 components

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

hammr7

Neumann AM32 components

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:25 am

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the site, and have found the forums invaluable in tracking down the history and applications for equipment I have picked up over the years.

I'm not a cutter, but a vintage audio enthusiast. I have thousands of LP's in my personal collection, and a huge variety of vintage gear to play them on. And more recently, I have picked up a large amount of equipment from studios that have shut down.

Which brings me to this first post. I recently picked up some Neumann components as part of a studio clean-out. The specific rack-mount components appear to be 2 tube power amps and a tube Preamp. The preamp (SV32T) and one of the amps (SV32VR) apparently controlled pitch range, while the other amp (SV32VR) controlled depth range. As best I can tell these were part of the SV32 Groove Pitch Control Amplifier for a Neumann AM 32 disk cutter system. They seem to be very early production, as the serial numbers are in the 40's.

As an audiophile I have considered adapting these components for personal use. But that would mean modifying units that appear to be completely original, and in extremely good shape. What I don't know is whether these units are desirable in their original state, or whether (like so much other vintage gear) they are now considered obsolete.

I will say that the build quality of these units is incredible. You don't find anything like this any more. If they are obsolete, does anyone have an electrical schematic, especially for the pin connectors, so that I don't have to trace the interface.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Hank

Infrasonic Sound

Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:03 am

Feel free to PM me and I'll do a scan for you.

cheers.

Pete Lyman
infrasonicmastering.com