Cutting PVC/PC/Pressed blanks etc. on a Vinylium Cutter?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Mudshark

Cutting PVC/PC/Pressed blanks etc. on a Vinylium Cutter?

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:45 am

Hi everyone,
Is there anyone out there cutting these type of discs using a diamond stylus on a Vinylium machine?
I've seen a few videos of it on you tube, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the angle of the cutter head needs to be somehow changed on a Vinylium in order to use a diamond stylus? Did I dream it or is that in fact the case?
Also, if it is possible, could someone suggest a good source of discs and diamonds?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Shank

Re: Cutting PVC/PC/Pressed blanks etc. on a Vinylium Cutter?

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:29 am

Last edited by The Shank on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

The Shank

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:30 am

Hi there,

About that, you just need a new holder as the one you can see on the picture for your SC99 to adjust height and angle, that's all... then, a DIY suction system, and you'll be able to cut plastic with diamonds.

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Mudshark

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks Myshank,
Your time and answer is very much appreciated. I checked out your website and if I get this going I will come to you for blanks and diamonds.... Thank you.
Because I want to cut both lacquers & PC discs, and the fact that I know a great toolmaker.... Rather than swap a whole component out every time I want to switch between the two formats, would it be possible to get my guy to make a kind of angled shim that the cutter head screws into (with obviously the shim attaching to the overhead the way the cutter head would usually do) ? This seems like a slightly less ball ache solution, or am I missing something obviously?
Also, why would I need to change the height as you mentioned, this is something I don't understand either..
Thanks so much for your help

Mudshark

The Shank

Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:58 am

Mudshark wrote:Thanks Myshank,
Your time and answer is very much appreciated. I checked out your website and if I get this going I will come to you for blanks and diamonds.... Thank you.
Because I want to cut both lacquers & PC discs, and the fact that I know a great toolmaker.... Rather than swap a whole component out every time I want to switch between the two formats, would it be possible to get my guy to make a kind of angled shim that the cutter head screws into (with obviously the shim attaching to the overhead the way the cutter head would usually do) ? This seems like a slightly less ball ache solution, or am I missing something obviously?
Also, why would I need to change the height as you mentioned, this is something I don't understand either..
Thanks so much for your help

Mudshark
PVC cutting and lacquers cutting are not cutting to the same angle... So you would have some change to from one to an other...
With the alu part you see on the picture, you can adjust the head to the angle you want... but if you change angle, you obviously have to change the height of the head. When pulled down
on your blank (whatever the blank), you always need to be on the famous imaginary line from the inner to outer perpendicular to the mirror face of your stylus.

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Mudshark

Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:48 am

Ok I get that, thank you. Leads me to the obvious question... Is anyone making these, or does anyone have drawings of it so I can get one made? Thanks.

The Shank

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:33 am

Mudshark wrote:Ok I get that, thank you. Leads me to the obvious question... Is anyone making these, or does anyone have drawings of it so I can get one made? Thanks.
Look at the alu parts on the pics and do the same by yourself ;) You already have the same part in red color on your system, take it and adapt, easy, really easy!

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe