Cutting old discs - asertate

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Simon

Cutting old discs - asertate

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:30 am

Well after much testing and cutting I am able to do this quite well.

What I found is that the old discs were hard and required heating before you cut.

I also tried a heated stylus.

What I found was this....

Non heated stylus test

If you underheat the blank to say 30c then the chip will be bad and you will get a build up of the chips under the stylus which will lift it off the disc.

Also the if you cut a silent cut you will hear BG noise.

Heat it up to 40c and you may have to back this off a bit as the disc may warp depending on the make.

And cut a silent cut and the BG noise has gone.

Heated stylus test

If you run the heated stylus at say 22c and heat the disc to say30c you are ok.

Get a good silent cut.

But if you heat the disc up to 40c you will get a build up of the chips under the stylus which will lift it off the disc.

I have not tried may makes yet but it seem to be the same across the board.

Using a 320 stylus.

I hope this is of some interest.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

VRCM

Cutting old discs

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:48 pm

I found that soaking the discs in an approx. 25% ammonia solution for a day or so helps soften them up also.