Ok so this is what I am working on

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

VRCM

Ok so this is what I am working on

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:35 pm

This link has some pics of the Presto 8D cutter. This cutter is missing the motor. Besides that I think it would run ok. I am also missing the belt. If I got a motor I would definitly be using that lathe instead of the Rek-o-kut V. Sorry about the picture quality.
http://heidelberg.en.craigslist.org/wan/1007017044.html
This is the Rek-okut that I am experimenting with now.http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/wan/1007024315.html
You can also see the two main heads I have. The first Presto works but the Presto 1-D is fryed. I took it all apart and I will try to rewind the bottom coil. The top coil comes up on the meter as 1000 ohms which would make sense if they were in parallel (head marked at 500 ohms), but the bottom coil has a short and registers 40 ohms on the meter. The thin wires going to the terminal post were charred.

This is the amp I am using. It is a Westinghouse Program Amp. Like an idiot I didn't write down the specs on it; I will post them next week.http://hickory.craigslist.org/wan/1007046992.html
Last edited by VRCM on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

VRCM

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:39 pm

I think the tube on the platter of the 8D is the vacuum tube.
Tim

Simon

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:41 pm

links do not work.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

VRCM

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:46 pm

Wierd. What about this link. Someone else got to this one finehttp://hartford.craigslist.org/wan/1001003061.html
Tim

VRCM

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:47 pm

I just put them up on craigslist so maybe they haven't been posted yet.
Tim

VRCM

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:58 pm

Fixed. Sorry copied the wrong urls. I edited the first post's links.
Tim

Simon

Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:04 pm

Do you guys ever sell any thing or do you just keep it all?
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

VRCM

Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Right now we are going to keep it all. But if we get duplicates down the road we could probably sell or trade
Tim

Simon

Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:41 pm

drop me a line when you do.

Prestofan

Presto 8D etc.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:04 pm

If you need any info on the Presto 8D check the Presto History page. Just google Presto History.
If you have some specific questions, perhaps I can help. PM me.

Alan.

VRCM

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:04 pm

Wow cool site. I haven't gotten a chace to read through it but I will definitely do so. Also, my Rek-o-kut has a Presto head on it; did Rek-okut ever make their own heads or did they use other peoples heads, like Presto?
Tim

VRCM

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:25 pm

I did have a question about the 1-D head. Mine is blow. When I took it apart I could see that the wires going the coils seemed charred and were disconnected. Now I tested the resistance of the two coils and the top one was 1000 ohms and the other 40 ohms. They should both be 1000 right ---to make up the 500 ohms? Even so, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to rewind them to make the head an 8 ohm head. I heard some other people talking about it but I don't know. I didn't see a lot of specifics on how it is actually done. I plan to use a slightly thicker wire, approx. 31 gauge, instead of what appears to be 36 or so gauge. I looked up the length of wire I would need for such a resistance and figured upon 128 feet or so per coil to make each coil about 16 ohms. --together in parallel they should drop it to 8. I am not very good with electronics so I am looking for second opinions on this. I have the feeling I made a mistake in my thinking somewhere.
Tim

bancho

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Just keep in mind that resistance (which you can measure with multimeter) is not the same as impedance! ...although both are expressed in ohms.
Difference is because you use sinusoidal voltage and in this case the impedance is relation between effective voltage and effective current.
... hmmm ... my english is very weak, I know :?
The best thing to do is ask someone who has proper working head to measure the resistance which you can compare. BUT the impedance of the head is the one which must match with the amp's.
Just to know... I'm not expert in this but I think I understand some basics. :oops:

Here is copy/paste from wikipedia:
According to Ohm’s law the impedance of a device can be calculated by complex division of the voltage and current. The impedance of the device can be calculated by applying a sinusoidal voltage to the device in series with a resistor, and measuring the voltage across the resistor and across the device. Performing this measurement by sweeping the frequencies of the applied signal provides the impedance phase and magnitude.

Prestofan

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:39 pm

Tim, your Rek-O-Kut has the Presto type cutter head they included in the K8 series recorders. Some were built by Astatic, some by Presto. The Presto 1D head is built by Presto, and is a much better head than the K8 head. I am not sure, but I don't think Rek-O-Cut made their own heads.

VRCM

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:52 pm

Ok--because I went on wikipedia and found the math a little confusing---I did an experiment. I tested the resistance of an 8 ohm speaker (what I want the head to be and similar in construction to a cutter head) and it came up as 8 ohms. Maybe it is a coincident or something or maybe they actually are related. Also the speaker crackled when I did it (from battery in meter). So anyways, what I got out what bancho and wikipedia said is that impedence is related more to the voltage and current---but if the meter is testing the resistsnce with voltage then maybe that is the impedence? I don't know. I guess it would be best to get the resistance of the 1-d from someone else. But even if I rewound the coils to the actual resistance of someone elses head would that necessarily mean that the impedence would match?
Last edited by VRCM on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

VRCM

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:55 pm

Prestofan: So then the head on the Rekokut is probably original then. Interesting; it seemed kind of fishy at first but I guess it is factory.
Tim

cuttercollector

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:13 am

I posted this somwhere else before but now I can't find it, so here we go again.
A normal digital meter measures resistance with DC voltage.
Impedance is the resistance AT some AC frequency and in fact will vary with frequency to some extent and not be the same as at "0" Hz. or DC.
The change in the value depends on both the inductance and capacitance of the device being measured. A carbon resistor would probably be about the same impedance from DC to a fairly high frequency - well above the audio band. But a speaker or cutter has a coil of wire, which has a general characteristic of higher and higher resistance as freqency increases.
The general expectation is that the DC resistance would be somewhat lower than the AC impedance at, say, 1KHz. but you still should be able to get a rough idea if there is a dead short "0 ohms" or if it is open (infinite ohms)
As an aside, Voltage, Current and Resistance are bound together by ohm's law, whether AC or DC.
Voltage = Current X Resistance
Resistance = Voltage / Current
Current = Voltage / Resistance
and power in Watts is always Current X Voltage

Simon

Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:31 am

I have a 1-d but it is an 8 ohm version - so that will not help.

VRCM

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:47 am

Actually that would cause I want mine to be 8 ohm. Can you measure the resistance? I figure 8 ohm would be easier to use because you could use it on any audio amp.
Tim

Simon

Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:11 am

I will do it tonight when I get home.