Terry's Rubber Rollers

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

concretecowboy71

Terry's Rubber Rollers

Mon May 23, 2016 9:46 pm

Has anybody used this service recently? The website is pretty outdated looking and I don't want to send off some rollers and never see them again. Will try the email address, but thought I would ask in case anybody had some feedback.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

rsimms3

Re: Terry's Rubber Rollers

Mon May 23, 2016 9:53 pm

His website hasn't changed in a while, but I used him last year without issue. If you don't hear back from him within a couple days, send your email again and check your own spam folder. I know when I was trying to contact him, some things were getting flagged.

concretecowboy71

Tue May 24, 2016 11:14 am

Great! Thanks!

Soulbear

Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 am

Hi There,
concretecowboy71 wrote:The website is pretty outdated looking and I don't want to send off some rollers and never see them again.

Agreed, the Website does not inspire confidence. I got lucky and managed to eventually secure a Brand New Idler for my US built Sparta GT12 Broadcast Turntable from Skeeter Nash at "Russco" I also studiously avoided sending my Latest Idler Wheel problem there too. There was sufficient depth on the Tyre, so I managed to get rid of the "Flat Spots" by having the Tyre skimmed on a friends Lathe. Having said all that, Terry's work does seem to be Highly Regarded when I've read reviews both here and on Turtable and Tape Recorder Forums and the Like, so maybe my reservations are unfounded.
:wink: :P :D Soulbear

Greg Reierson

Tue May 24, 2016 4:19 pm

He did an A80 roller for me a few weeks ago.
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wed May 25, 2016 10:46 am

He knows what he is doing and does it well.

When you get into these obscure areas of interest, the dude who hasn't updated his site since 1997 is often the guy you want. He may well just be a guy who has priorities other than the internet, and enough clients from 30 years ago that he doesn't care. One could play devil's advocate and argue that a need to keep current and slick is a sign of desperation. ;)

I am saying this as a general rule....more about the first part than the end.

concretecowboy71

Wed May 25, 2016 11:35 am

I have contacted him and he got right back to me. Steve, I agree with your observations. For better or worse, my mother used to choose shoe repair guys on the basis of how much or little English they choose to speak. Her rationale was that the "old country" guys were much better at their craft!

piaptk

Wed May 25, 2016 12:31 pm

I've used him for dozens of rollers, as recently as a couple weeks ago. He rules, is pretty fast, and will work with you to fix any problems. He's quick to get back to you and makes a great product.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com