My POC Liquid Filled Lathe-Cut Record

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

yourbedhead

My POC Liquid Filled Lathe-Cut Record

Sun May 29, 2016 8:40 pm

This is a proof of concept I just did for a liquid filled lathe-cut record. This will be for my record label's record club. The band is named "Bloody Knives" hence the red liquid. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHazrCUbLTM

sat159p1

Re: My POC Liquid Filled Lathe Cut Vinyl

Mon May 30, 2016 2:24 am

Looks awesome! Did you joined two felxidisc together with liquid between? Did you recorded before it or after?

Aussie0zborn

Mon May 30, 2016 4:40 am

yourbedhead wrote:This is a proof of concept I just did for a liquid filled lathe vinyl.
Looks great. Good luck with your project.

Please use internationally accepted professional terminology on this forum. It's not a "vinyl" - it's a "record". In this case, you have a lathe-cut record. There is no vinyl there from what I can see. I've edited your post.

I'm sure we all agree that records have been made from different materials. These materials have been used to produce various types of records, namely...

Shellac records
Vinyl records
Polystyrene records

Let me suggest that we don't call shellac records "shellacs" and we don't call polystyrene records "polystyrenes" so there is no need to call vinyl records "vinyls". Saying "vinyls" is like saying "fishes" or "deers" or "styluses". These four words don't exist in the English language.

In any case, its best to be professional and use the right terminology.

sat159p1

Re: My POC Liquid Filled Lathe-Cut Record

Mon May 30, 2016 11:56 am

You are a bit wrong. In most non-US or non-EN countries, "vinyl"="record" no matter what material is used when making them. So please also respect other countries' terminology. Just my 2c.

Aussie0zborn

Mon May 30, 2016 12:16 pm

Never. Look at all the patents and tell me where it says it's a "vinyl".

It's a record and always will be. Anyway, let's not take this off topic.

yourbedhead

Mon May 30, 2016 12:21 pm

I recorded before, would hate to put all that together and have a bad cut. Joined two together except for just a small opening, filled then sealed the remaining hole.
sat159p1 wrote:Looks awesome! Did you joined two felxidisc together with liquid between? Did you recorded before it or after?

yourbedhead

Mon May 30, 2016 12:35 pm

Anyone know why the YOUTUBE2 code does not work?

piaptk

Mon May 30, 2016 1:53 pm

sat159p1 wrote:You are a bit wrong. In most non-US or non-EN countries, "vinyl"="record" no matter what material is used when making them. So please also respect other countries' terminology. Just my 2c.
I gotta agree with Aussie. Just because people who don't know any better commonly use incorrect terminology, doesn't make the usage correct.

I personally don't get all worked up over it, but he is correct. Vinyl = Pressed PVC record. Record = any type of disc with grooves, regardless of material, but including vinyl.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Soulbear

Mon May 30, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi There,
I love being Pedantic and Pedantry too, however, here's a Listing from one of the Premier Record Dealers not only in the UK, but the Entire World, http://www.raresoulman.co.uk/rare-soul-vinyl You will note that the listing is called Rare Soul Vinyl. But I'll show my bare backside in Blomindales Shop Window, if at Least 25% of the Records Listed here, are not Pressed on Polystyrene. A lot of the Detroit Output in the 1960s from Ric Tic/ Wingate/GoldenWorld and many, many others, and Carrying the Legendary ZTSC Matrix Marks in the "Dead Wax" Area, were Pressed on Polystyrene, as were a lot carrying the M.R Matrices of Monarch Records on the West Coast, but I'll wager 95% of the estimated 250,000 collectors of "Rare Soul" refer to them as Vinyl. As many yet again still refer to Lacquers as "Acetates" though we know they're no such thing too. Much the same can be said of the incorrect usage of the words Less or Fewer, I'm not saying it's correct to use the wrong terminology, but you gotta recognise that a lot of people do. My 2 Pennyworth
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Aussie0zborn

Mon May 30, 2016 11:48 pm

And what do you play this "rare soul vinyl" on? I bet it's a record player.

Going back to the original post, the OP has a "record label" and intends to sell this unique record through his "record club".

I would suggest that using a term like "vinyls" as PIAPTK suggests is for people who don't know better. I would like to think forum members know better.

mossboss

Tue May 31, 2016 4:53 pm

Well all interesting This link may help a little
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/308637380686411308/?from_navigate=true
I wouldn't worry to much about the mice with Tom or the Nylons
Cheers
Chris

rsimms3

Tue May 31, 2016 8:02 pm

A few questions out of curiosity -

1. What kind of liquid did you fill it with?
2. Did you use a middle layer with an inner and outer ring like a sandwich between the two records?
3. What type of glue did you use?

There have been a couple liquid filled records I've seen. The Third Man Records one used dye colored water, the middle layer was a plastic ring on the outside and cork on the inside around the spindle hole to keep the liquid in and support the center of the two records. They used super glue as adhesive. With the cork center, many of them leaked and it looks like eventually all of them will have their liquid evaporate.

The other was the Flaming Lips blood filled record. Yes, real blood from several different people including Kesha and Wayne Coyne. There were a few others, but only those come to mind immediately. I think there's been others, but those two come to mind immediately.

I'd like to see one filled with oil and water like what is in a wave machine or liquid timer.

Gridlock

Tue May 31, 2016 10:18 pm

rsimms3 wrote: I'd like to see one filled with oil and water like what is in a wave machine or liquid timer.
With a clear turntable platter with lights underneath! :::heads to the freezer for some blotter:::
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

yourbedhead

Tue May 31, 2016 11:17 pm

Sorry, trade secret. No, here is what I did:

1. Cut my poly sheet into two round pieces
2. Sanded the edge and around the hole lightly where my bonding material will go on one side of both pieces.
3. Put a bead of Bondic material around the same sanded portions. (Except for a small opening)
4. Laid the top portion on the bottom portion.
5. Used the Bondic light to harden the material.
6. Used a syringe to fill the record with watered down fake blood in that small opening mentioned earlier.
7. Sealed the small opening with Bondic.
rsimms3 wrote:A few questions out of curiosity -

1. What kind of liquid did you fill it with?
2. Did you use a middle layer with an inner and outer ring like a sandwich between the two records?
3. What type of glue did you use?

There have been a couple liquid filled records I've seen. The Third Man Records one used dye colored water, the middle layer was a plastic ring on the outside and cork on the inside around the spindle hole to keep the liquid in and support the center of the two records. They used super glue as adhesive. With the cork center, many of them leaked and it looks like eventually all of them will have their liquid evaporate.

The other was the Flaming Lips blood filled record. Yes, real blood from several different people including Kesha and Wayne Coyne. There were a few others, but only those come to mind immediately. I think there's been others, but those two come to mind immediately.

I'd like to see one filled with oil and water like what is in a wave machine or liquid timer.

EpicenterBryan

Tue May 31, 2016 11:34 pm

yourbedhead wrote:3. Put a bead of Bondic material around the same sanded portions. (Except for a small opening)
Great idea there. UV cured glue.
I tried something similar but couldn't get it to stick to aluminum (my application). I haven't tried it with any other material. That raises new possibilities... The Bondic material could also be used to form internal chambers, or at least channels where the liquid could flow.

Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing that!

Bryan

yourbedhead

Tue May 31, 2016 11:47 pm

Forgot to share this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bondic-Anything-Waterproof-Resistant-Plastic/dp/B00QU5M4MG/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1464752806&sr=1-1&keywords=bondic
EpicenterBryan wrote:
yourbedhead wrote:3. Put a bead of Bondic material around the same sanded portions. (Except for a small opening)
Great idea there. UV cured glue.
I tried something similar but couldn't get it to stick to aluminum (my application). I haven't tried it with any other material. That raises new possibilities... The Bondic material could also be used to form internal chambers, or at least channels where the liquid could flow.

Very cool idea. Thanks for sharing that!

Bryan