VR amp upgrade

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JHL

VR amp upgrade

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:01 am

Hi Trolls!
I have been cutting happily in past month after i solve the set up problem,thanks a lot of people's help so much! :D :D
i start get some problem,i can get some good sound on dance,eletronic music and those music with heavey bass ,loud and clear. but when i cut music with distortion guitar,i cant cut a loud volume with clear high frequency, high frequency loss a lot and easy distortion on vocal and guitar

I am thinking about maybe change my amp can improve this problem?my amp is qsc 700(350 watts per channel at 2 ohms,270 watts per channel at 4 ohms,170watts per channel at 8 ohms),i need to put it very high(about 2 o'clock) to get a standard volume.

Should i change the amp to the high power one?like 2x500 watts amp?could i get a clear high frequency when i change the amp?
any help is apperciate!

tragwag

Re: VR amp upgrade

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:55 pm

I would check your gain staging throughout the whole chain first.
I don't have trouble with this amp myself, but I don't cut extremely loud either (0dB ref +4 dbu)
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

fredbissnette

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:20 pm

maybe a compressor is an answer
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

JHL

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:53 am

tragwag wrote:I would check your gain staging throughout the whole chain first.
I don't have trouble with this amp myself, but I don't cut extremely loud either (0dB ref +4 dbu)
Thanks for your reply,Tragwag.but i remember you are using Qsc Gx500,that one is 2x500W?more power than qsc mx700?
fredbissnette wrote:maybe a compressor is an answer
thanks your reply.fredbissnette .compressor can help with clear high frequency? :?:

fredbissnette

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:06 am

a compressor after the source would tame any big peaks and if you want to add some air to the top then add an eq with some extra hi end after the compressor or just play with it until you get what you want.

cheers
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

tragwag

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:27 pm

I just looked and the GX5 is indeed 500 watts per channel at 8 ohms.
the Samson I use is 300 watts per channel, and I keep it a little higher output wise, but haven't had issues
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com