Is My Needle Dull? Pics Included

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sgreiner1011

Is My Needle Dull? Pics Included

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:19 am

Hi All Once Again,

I am using a K10 Presto and I am cutting 45s. My sapphire needle is starting to make a lot of noise. While cutting virgin PVC (not embossing), every now and then I get a high pitched screech. Sometimes it lasts for a good 20 seconds or so. I tried to adjust the force of the cutting head, but that doesn't do anything. After cutting, I hear the same screech when playing record (which isn't surprising) and I also get what sounds like two pieces of paper constantly rubbing against each other while the music is playing on the player. When I first started to cut about a month ago, the cuts were really quiet and I was impressed with how it sounded. Now all of a sudden I am getting all this noise. It didn't happen gradually either. I didn't bump or drop the needle. I actually had it sitting for about 2 weeks with the lid on it, so nothing could have happened to the needle during that time.

Below I have 3 pictures that are at about x15 magnification. Sorry if they aren't too clear, but I think everyone can tell if its dull or not. The first picture looks dull to me.

The Shank

Re: Is My Needle Dull? Pics Included

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:55 am

The Shank wrote:
sgreiner1011 wrote:I am using these--> https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Large-Hole-Blank-Vinyl-Records-QTY-of-10/253054296263?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Its states they are virgin PVC. I do not know a lot about the different types.

Thanks!!
So you need a diamond stylus, not a sapphire that won't cut... and even with a diamonds, the results won't be glorious and will break the tip
prematurely.
So guess what with a sapphire now...^^
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

sgreiner1011

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:08 am

The Shank wrote:

sgreiner1011 wrote:
I am using these--> https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Large-Hole-B ... 2749.l2649

Its states they are virgin PVC. I do not know a lot about the different types.

Thanks!!

So you need a diamond stylus, not a sapphire that won't cut... and even with a diamonds, the results won't be glorious and will break the tip
prematurely.

So guess what with a sapphire now...^^
My sapphire did cut nicely the first ~10 times. I do not know how old that sapphire is since it came with the lathe, so I cant really tell if it failed too early. You said the diamond will break prematurely and the sound wont be glorious. The sapphire I was using was pretty glorious and very quiet. I have the suspicion that a diamond will act the same as my sapphire. You kind of scared me away by saying a diamond will fail prematurely. Will it break just like my sapphire seemed to have? Will a diamond last longer at least? What kinds of mistakes will break a diamond aside from the obvious? (dropping it, etc.)

Thanks and congratulations on winning the World Cup!

The Shank

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:17 am

So if you're happy with that... You should continue to train with cheap stuff before reaching the next step :)

Thank you for the world cup... But each time I read congrats I feel I have to drink a beer... Anyway, one more or less...And it's the week end... And we are in summer...And it's short drink time here...Beer!
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

sgreiner1011

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:41 am

So if you're happy with that... You should continue to train with cheap stuff before reaching the next step
If I train with the cheap stuff, I feel I'm not learning anything. I have bought cheap stuff in the past and cannot get rid of background (grinding, squeaking) noise. In order to learn, I have to spend the money/time and see where it takes me.

I'll be in touch through email. Thank You!

socialroots

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:27 am

Welcome to the game,even the cheap stuff isnt all that cheap when you get to the 500 cut mark. Best to use the search on this site n read everything over on styliis n record blanks,plastics ect.. it wil save you alot of time n money by being able to make propper choices regarding what kind of material to cut n with what styli to use for the task. Sure way of wasting money is to cut on a hard plastic blank with sapphire .u can emboss with sapphire as well,just search for the threads n browse.
Maximum respect,
Patrick