7 inch side length question

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

13yo

7 inch side length question

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:10 pm

we've mastered 4 songs for 7 inch, which is long I understand is long

I have a couple questions hopefully might help, or not squeeze them on

we'd probably have to go 33 RPM

side A is 6:33, side B is 5:23,

the program style is DIY Power Pop, drums, bass, guitar, vocal
recorded lo-fi style on a Tascam 388 quarter inch 8 track all in
one porta-studio

ALSO, maybe important, the program is all MONO, don't know
why they did that

the final question is, would the mono program help cut the side
higher quality, and could it help to go 45 RPM,

does this make sense?

thanks, _mark.

emorritt

Re: 7 inch side length question

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 am

Stereo or mono won't make a difference. "Hey Jude" by the Beatles ran 7:11 and was released on a 7 inch 45 RPM disc. When you increase run time on a 45 single, you lose level. Since more grooves have to fit within the format, the level is cut to accommodate the higher lines per inch required. Normal 45 single run times were between 2 minutes to around 3:30 - 4:15 or so. There were many exceptions, but primarily for radio play at a suitable level, run times were kept low.

This is why for lengthy classical LPs, Scully invented the Varigroove system that pre-read the master tape and when things were low level, grooves were compacted automatically. When a loud hit came up, the lathe would reduce the LPI in order to prevent overcuts (grooves crashing, creating a skip).

Reducing the speed to 33 but maintaining the 7 inch format will not allow a much greater volume, since you're still maintaining the run time. This is why a lot of DJ records are 12 inch running at 45 with short run times if they need a high level and a lot of bass and drums. I've mastered some DJ records in this format that only run about 8 - 9 minutes, but are cut at around 112/120 lines per inch to accommodate the over 0 db levels and the bass and drums. Keeps the headache of overcutting away...

Greg Reierson

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Those times will be fine at 33. A bit long for 45, IMO. Level we be determined by distortion as much as length at 33.

Mono gives you a slight advantage since there is no added lateral movement due to vertical content. IOW, slightly better LPI economy. But not the deciding factor.
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

jjgolden

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:35 am

+ It might be good to at least get a lacquer ref of the long side so there are no disapointing surprises down the road.

tragwag

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:38 pm

yeah you'll be fine at 33 RPM even if you were doing lathe cuts vs pressed records,
especially that lofi stuff with the rolled off high end, you can get a little more level than a master that's brighter
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

13yo

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:27 pm

thanks all for your input, we're going with 33

the broker (won't say who) claimed going DMM would be best for these longish sides on 7 Inch

I've never heard of that. Anybody care to comment on this?

_Mark Chalecki

jjgolden

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 pm

DMM = direct metal mastering. i.e. cutting into a coper disc instead of lacquer.
It represented the state of the art and the last hooray from Neumann in cutting lathe technology before CD's took over.

As far as fidelity, the 7"33 can be the worst of the vinyl formats. (inner diameter tracking distortion and hi frequency loss.)

Also note, all mono recordings on disc will no doubt be played with a stereo cartridge.
This means any and all defects in pressing as well as playback tracking errors will be exposed on the sides with no musical content to mask them.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, just sharing some info : )

Hope this is helpful
JJG

Greg Reierson

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:19 pm

13yo wrote:thanks all for your input, we're going with 33

the broker (won't say who) claimed going DMM would be best for these longish sides on 7 Inch
Yeah, I think we ALL know who that is...
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

13yo

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:52 pm

jjgolden wrote:DMM = direct metal mastering. i.e. cutting into a coper disc instead of lacquer.
It represented the state of the art and the last hooray from Neumann in cutting lathe technology before CD's took over.

As far as fidelity, the 7"33 can be the worst of the vinyl formats. (inner diameter tracking distortion and hi frequency loss.)

Also note, all mono recordings on disc will no doubt be played with a stereo cartridge.
This means any and all defects in pressing as well as playback tracking errors will be exposed on the sides with no musical content to mask them.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, just sharing some info : )

Hope this is helpful
JJG
thanks for your input JJ, but I knew what DMM stands for, I just had never heard of anyone recommending it to achieve better results for longish sides,
maybe because its a little quieter, S/N of the final product will be better?

I think they'll be okay with the compromised audio quality too, its Mono DIY Pop Punk. If they aren't, they don't get what they're trying to do.

_m

Aussie0zborn

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:39 am

For the record, I would think DMM was recommended for the advanced pitch system of the VMS82 DMM lathe which is the same one used on the VMS80 lacquer lathe. Any other lathe fitted with Flo's Pitch13 system will pack the grooves just as tight if not tighter.

Let us know how it pans out.