A question about stylus and sound.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

punkrock

A question about stylus and sound.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:21 pm

This might be a very stupid question but I had never thought about this before (and I've been cutting for 6 years now!). I'm cutting Souri's discs on a Vinylrecorder, using his stylus also. While cutting some minimal techno records with a real clear sound I had an accident and damaged the stylus so I've had to change it. Suddently music sounds differently, I've had to readjust volume (that is normal) but also treble, mid and bass. This is what surprised me.

Different stylus = different sound? Is that the usual?

tragwag

Re: A question about stylus and sound.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:26 am

my guess is it's more so the change in depth/angle from switching out the stylus if you didn't adjust those.
even just with removing the head for stylus changing, you'll never get it in EXACTLY the same spot.
though I wouldn't be surprised if the stone itself made a difference
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

punkrock

Re: A question about stylus and sound.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:13 pm

tragwag wrote:my guess is it's more so the change in depth/angle from switching out the stylus if you didn't adjust those.
even just with removing the head for stylus changing, you'll never get it in EXACTLY the same spot.
though I wouldn't be surprised if the stone itself made a difference
Never thought about that. Thanks for the info!