Groove Controller Souri Problem

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Discomo

Re: Groove Controller Souri Problem

Thu May 02, 2019 7:20 pm

markrob wrote:
Edit:

@markrob
I didn't read your comment on the dinplug in your last comment, but have just removed the dinplug. When I did, I noticed the din-holder is a bit wobbly, causing some friction /movement in the dinholder. So I removed the dinplug and now I get totally different readings;
1. - 13.82
2. - 13.11
3. - 1.24 (when green dial is at 0), 2.41 (when green dial is at 30), 4.44 (when green dial is at 60), 6.44 (when green dial is at 100). (all steady readings)
@SueDenim When I remove the shorting phono plug it reads: 12.48 at measuringpoint 3.

I've then replaced the dinplug in the holder, putting something under the dinplug to make sure the dinholder makes a proper metal to metal contact.
But then I again receive a reading of 0.27 only (at measuringpoint 3) (steady reading this time). It doesn't matter if I turn the green dial, it remains at 0.27. This corresponds with the sound of the motor: very faint.

Is it possible the motor died from the friction of the Dinholder?

Can I check with my multimeter if the motor is dead or not, by measuring it somewhere? If yes, can you tell me on which points at the motor I should measure?
(I opened the rear end of the metal bar, exposing the points where the -/+ wires connect to the motor; see photo)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Discomo

Fri May 03, 2019 7:14 am

Is it necessary to send the overheadmotor (+ iron bar) back to Souri or can it be done by any tech in my vicinity?
I'm of course reluctant to have just anybody fiddle around with it, risking they put a wrong motor in it...
On the other hand, I'm also not looking forward to the high postage costs, sending it to Germany.

markrob

Fri May 03, 2019 8:48 am

Hi,

Before you send it back for service, make sure the motor is really bad. Its possible that there is a short in the wiring rather than a bad motor. I would clip one lead at the motor and plug the DIN connector back into the controller and re-check the voltages. If it is still bad, then you have a wiring issue. I see from the photo, that there is a noise suppression capacitor soldered across the motor terminals that might have failed shorted. If cutting one of the leads results in full voltage returning, I would remove this capacitor and reconnect the clipped wire to see if that is the culprit. You can also measure the resistance of the motor at the terminals to see if its shorted. 1 ohm and up would indicate its fine. Below that, I would suspect the motor. Maybe Souri will ship you a new motor if that is indeed defective. I'd check with him first to see what the next steps are.

Mark

Discomo

Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for all your advise and help...

I've send it back to Souri already. Maybe indeed it could have been the capacitor.

I now need to wait till it comes back. But at least it's working again then. Too bad I can't do any work.
Well, time for other things I guess! ;)

SueDenim

Fri May 03, 2019 2:22 pm

When it comes back, would you mind making another post on this thread to let us know what the problem turned out to be please?
It'll be useful for other who have similar issues in the future... and I'm curious to know too! :D

Discomo

Sat May 04, 2019 6:23 am

Ok, will do...
As soon as I know more I'll post it here.

Discomo

Sat May 25, 2019 8:28 am

I've received the equipment back from Souri, repaired.

I haven't heard yet if it's the motor or the capacitor. But for me it seems logical to assume the root cause of the error lied in the faulty dinplug.

At least, that was the only possible cause I found.

Discomo

Mon May 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Also, I like to add the service of Souri is outstanding.
I got the controller and motor back within two weeks (including sending time to & fro him)
+ after two years, there was still warranty! I didn't need to pay anything for the repair, which is excellent in my book.
I've never had a problem with the VR previously, even though I've been working with it on a daily basis since two years! Think this is important to mention.

SueDenim

Tue May 28, 2019 5:55 am

Well said Discomo - it's good to have balanced opinions on here.

Teddy

Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:47 pm

Hey everybody! Nice to join you. :)
I have the same problem with groove distance on T560. The groove swings to sides. Already tried, positioning, lubricating, opened main unit and sprayed with PRF, checked voltage and contacts, disassembled whole cutterhead arm, and checking for mechanical issues. Still nothing. The only parts I couldn't reach was the motor and metal threads inside. And motor sounds like it has some repetitive friction.
Has anyone ever figured out a way to take out the motor? (the part that's filled with silicone).
Managed to get rid of silicone, but couldn't find a way to take motor and metal threads out. Would be awesome if someone have some suggestions on fixing this swinging groves.

markrob

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:02 pm

If you have decent soldering skills, should be no problem. One thing to keep in mind. IIRC, the boards are single sided. These are easily damaged and you should take care when desoldering.

Mark

Teddy

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:20 am

markrob wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:02 pm
If you have decent soldering skills, should be no problem. One thing to keep in mind. IIRC, the boards are single sided. These are easily damaged and you should take care when desoldering.

Mark
Thanks for the response. Soldering is not a problem to me.I Can't find a way to take out the motor and inner long metal bar that spins the black wheel on the side. And I believe the problem is inside here. Should I pull the metal bar using more force? Or
there should be some screw that I cant see? Or maybe the motor is glued inside and its hard to take it out with no damage? Has anyone had this experience?

Discomo

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:48 am

Why don't you just send it to Souri?
I got it back within two weeks. Seems faster and you don't risk loosing your warranty.