Presto 8DG value

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

marchingband

Presto 8DG value

Sun May 31, 2020 4:22 pm

Hello Trolls
I'm looking at selling my Presto 8DG, Grampian Cutter, Gotham Amp setup.
I am looking for any ballpark ideas on what a fair price would be.
It has all the additional the "microgroove" gears, has been working flawlessly for 6 years now, with daily use.
The finish has some wear here and there, but nothing brutal.
I had heard rumours that one sold a few years ago for $100k, I also hear that $15,000 is closer to the fair price.
Any input much appreciated!
cheers!
yo

piaptk

Re: Presto 8DG value

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Yeah, be pretty tough to get $100k for that. But with the gotham/grampian and having it fully functional, $15k is not unreasonable. Maybe top retail, but not ridiculous.

We sold an 8dg with the microgroove pulleys, 45 rpm gear conversion, new, higher torque motors, and that had been 100% redone, powder coated, museum grade restoration with Grampian Select cutter head, starter pack of supplies, training and tech support for about that.

But even as a museum piece, it took almost a year to move. So, i would say $10,000 would sell it fast, $15,000 might take a lot longer but is plausible. Due to the size and cost and difficulty to transport, they are a specialty item compared to like a 6n or something and have a smaller market of buyers looking for them. But damn, they are beautiful machines. If you need cash quick and are looking to fire sale it, dm me.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com