Wednesday June 24... Lathe Trolls 15 year anniversary!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wednesday June 24... Lathe Trolls 15 year anniversary!

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Dear all,

Nothing profound to say here.... It just occurred to me that Wednesday, June 24th, will be this chat forum's 15-year anniversary!

I'm absent-minded and preoccupied enough that I'm mentioning it now, in case I've forgotten by Wednesday.

It's an honor to have shared these years with all of you! And here's to many more. Keepa rockin'.

Yours,
Steve

symatic

Re: Wednesday June 24... Lathe Trolls 15 year anniversary!

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:36 am

Thanks for being such a great community resource!

heres to many more years!

tragwag

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:00 pm

thank you steve!!! :D
long live lathe trolls
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

markrob

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Time flies when you are having fun! Thanks Steve for making all of this possible!

PMST

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:25 am

I don't think i have even spent this amount of time anywhere else! The best resource out there! Great work

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:03 pm

Thanks for the unexpected contributions that came in this week, and thanks to Mike "piaptk" Dixon for organizing and encouraging said contributions!

When I started this chat forum in 2005, on a long-gone free, no-frills forum-site located in India, I had little vision for it beyond getting my own technical questions answered on a 1940's record cutter I'd been gifted. In the intervening decade and a half, 3100 members have logged in and actively participated in discussions, with an unknown (but significant) number of additional lurkers. It went from a site oriented solely towards hobbyists, experimental artist/musicians, and mad scientists, to include also record masterers, engineers, record labels, and professionals in all aspects of the record production industry. (Without losing its original weirdos.....I hope?)

When I started the site, believe it or not, the modern usuage of the word "Trolling" was unknown to me. Instead, I was thinking of the old definition: "A dwarf or giant in Scandinavian folklore inhabiting caves or hills." (as, I believe, was Twig Harper, who had coined the phrase in an interview.)

So that's what I've intended to maintain. A place where a bunch of perhaps slightly gnarly elves, holding the wisdom of the hills from ancient Vinylandia, will reveal such secrets, if given the secret password or some such offering.

Thanks to all who have taken part in the site and made it what it is today! It's been an honor working with you, and here's to many more good years ahead.

lotsa love,
Steve