VR suction problem

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Discomo

Re: VR suction problem

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:22 am

Vinylfan wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:06 pm
Sorry to come back to the angle of the stylus.
Attached a photo from the head of my VR. The cutting angle is approx. 20 degrees away from perpendicular (0°) when the head is in a horizontal position (parallel to the blank).
The head parallel to the blank is my normal setup and cutting results are quite good in my subjective sense.

Thanks to the valuable advice of member Discomo I have learned that the stylus angle should be perpendicular.
To me the construction of "my" head looks similar to the one of member Ibai's machine.
However, I doubt that I could align the head in such a way that a perpendicular angle is achieved. Are there any VR owners where the stylus holder is soldered on at a different angle?

Thank you.

Stylus angle.jpg
You can get it at 0 degrees when you raise the height of your turntable.

RedSpadeRobyn

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi Ibai,

My head is set at the top of that adjustment portion. Sorry for the late reply.
I hope it’s working better now for you.

soeffingodly

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:22 pm

PMST wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:31 am
Ah haha! Well, thanks! It was extremely useful!

I used this for my PSU (link below), chopped the wires and chop blocked them together.... I've had no issues so far in over a year. Also i posted the other day in here about Noise ID, a very weird sound that was kinda like when you get plastic stuck to the stylus, however the stylus was clean, after upgrading the cutter amp the noise went, so that's something to think about in my opinion, since upgrading the amp suddenly the cuts are extremely quiet. Whether it's just co-incidence or not, who knows, but i have seen a big improvement!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-240V-Regulated-Switching-Amplifier-Accessories/dp/B01G9YS4NU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=joylit+ac+100-240v+to+dc+12+5a+switching+power+supply+uk&qid=1589862473&sr=8-1
Please forgive the question - so you clipped the wires on the end of the PSU where the round plug is and blocked them together with whatever connector is in the picture above? (2 or 4 pin it looks like....)
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

PMST

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:36 am

On the PSU, the connector/end that would normally plug into the appliance, i snipped that off. Then in the main unit, the section that is circled in the image, disconnect the white block form the board (this is the power to the EQ piggy backed from Pitch motor), then snip that white block off. Then i chop blocked the PSU to the wires coming from the EQ section of the main unit

soeffingodly

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:56 am

PMST wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:36 am
On the PSU, the connector/end that would normally plug into the appliance, i snipped that off. Then in the main unit, the section that is circled in the image, disconnect the white block form the board (this is the power to the EQ piggy backed from Pitch motor), then snip that white block off. Then i chop blocked the PSU to the wires coming from the EQ section of the main unit
Thank you so much!
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

NickGrooves

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:32 am

N/M … mod can delete post … I made a newb mistake and posted after Page 1 before realizing there was Page 2 and 3 :!: