Leon Chue, Rest in Peace

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

CutR

Leon Chue, Rest in Peace

Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:09 pm

I'm totally lost for words, upon reading about this today. NEVER NEVER NEVER would i imagine Leon passing away at such a young age. I thought he will be cutting dubs long into when he becomes a grand-dad just like his dad Paul. Such a damn lost to such a young and talented cutting engineer.

For those who don't know about Music House it was one of London's most legendary cutting houses. At the time when i use to go there, it was located just off Holloway Road down the side of an alley, It had 2 cutting rooms manned by Leon and his dad Paul Chue. I can remember going to music house for the first time and seeing this young kid working the neumann lathe and thinking, surely this little kid can't know what hes doing. He must be a around my age or so, give take a few years. At this time i was in my early 20's, but of course he knew what he was doing he was trained up by his dad the infamous Paul Chue. After hearing how Leon cut my music on dub i always waited until Leon was free even though sometimes i had to wait longer to get my cuts done.

Music House was a real special and inspiring place for me being a up and coming d&b dj/producer, as there was always some top d&b dj/producers/label owners getting their music cutting in which you had an opportunity to connect with some big names in neutral environment. I remember a friend of mine getting his first vinyl release on a well-known d&B label just by the owner hearing his tune getting cut from the alleyway.

Words can not describe how i feel right now. I'm truly heart broken. but my thoughts and prayers are with Chue family.
God bless and rest in peace Leon

SueDenim

Re: Leon Chue, Rest in Peace

Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:37 am

Couldn't agree more. Such a shocking loss. 2020 really sucked.

My story is almost exactly like yours CutR... so much so in fact that we were probably in the Holloway Road 'shack' at the same time and never knew!
Totally loved the vibe in and around there but, man, was that place a fire hazard! SO much swarf in such a tiny and combustible building with the walls all plastered with old Reggae 12" sleeves and posters.
Definitely NO SMOKING!

When I heard of Leon's untimely passing late last year, I threw myself into my record collection and pulled every Music House dub I still have.
One in particular brings back such memories - Leon cut it in room 2 and it was a special DJ tools 10" I put together full of sound effects and loops. I still remember clear as if it were yesterday the incredulous look on Leon's face as the DAT rolled and the lathe cut the sides... it was clear he thought I was off my trolley!
Great dayz...

symatic

Re: Leon Chue, Rest in Peace

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:15 am

RIP. great picture.