original RIAA curve with T560 (bypass souri's main unit)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

Re: original RIAA curve with T560 (bypass souri's main unit)

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:48 pm

do you only have myshank stylus and souri blanks to use?
can you try myshank blanks? sounds like the materials + stylus aren't super compatible if all else is correct
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

hyaenamx

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:28 pm

Great all the tips here, i `ll take a moment to check vacuum details, and see if it`s time change anything.
I`ve read that post and feel great about the David 34 solution, and a lot of info of interest.

Now im getting to try all the things in the pitch motornoise (Bestseller hehe) says to find reason of the noise.
Also put rubbers below the hardware.

Filter is the original that comes with machine.

Thank you.

hyaenamx

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:48 pm

By way of closing my publication I would like to share with you the solutions we apply to our problem with the T560

1. The reason that made the stylus short-lived was a large amount of DC Offset (2 DCV) on one channel of the amplifier (Samson SERVO 600). It was repaired and it works fine now and we also have a backup one.

The hum that I had on the recordings was removed with the Behringer hum destroyer.

The friction noise was fixed by opening the grooves distance further and heating the discs to 45 degrees.

The noise that existed from the vacuum was fixed by changing the stylus for a Souri`s (a lot of distance between suction pipe and stylus)

After closing this post I will open another one to get help on the size of the stylus of my shank and the little space I have left between the stylus and the disc.

Thanks to all who offered solutions and words of encouragement.

Gracias amigos.

nikc

Re: orignal RIAA curve with T560 (bypass souri's main unit)

Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi. A but late to the conversation but hyaenamx I listened to your sound clip and I have the same high pitched noise. My tube is very close to the stylus so that could be the problem. I will try like you without suction to see if it's better

Thank you

Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records