Weird issue: Noise along with the signal

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

discosdecorte

Weird issue: Noise along with the signal

Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:16 pm

Dear trolls:

I have a weird issue: When I send some signal to the head of my AU70-17-C I have noise along with the signal. I mean: If the input is three keyboard chords with pauses between, I hear the three chords mixed with (sort of white?) noise. There is no noise during the pauses, only when something sounds. Also, there is no need to cut to hear this weird thing directly in the head.

I've tried with several sources (laptop, CD...) but it is always the same. Any ideas?

Best regards,
Fer
🄳🄸🅂🄲🄾🅂 🄳🄴 🄲🄾🅁🅃🄴
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

selectavision

Re: Weird issue: Noise along with the signal

Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:12 pm

Hello Fer,
sounds like an intermodulation effect to me. Is the amplifier o.k .; do you use a feedback cutting head?
A more precise assessment is only possible through a measurement. Get an audio spectrum analyzer (many sound cards / audio software can do that today). Record a 1000Hz tone and see which sidebands occur in addition to the 1000Hz tone during playback. There may also be resonances in the write head, as long as the rest of the amplifier electronics is OK.

Cheers, Martin