ATOM/VANROCK - Need help with Grinding Noise in Background

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

12bitcuts

ATOM/VANROCK - Need help with Grinding Noise in Background

Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:52 am

Hello trolls,

I own an ATOM A-101 (Same as VANROCK) and am looking for some suggestions.
I have my EQ settings pretty close to acceptable as far as fidelity but what I cannot seem to eliminate is a grinding background noise in every recording.
I have attached a short .wav file so you can hear it (loop it + volume for best result).
DiscTest-Noise-2.wav.zip
Any ideas how to get rid of this grinding noise?
I only use Myshank blanks & Myshank 462P diamond needles to cut.
Weight is currently set to ~11grams, which is the minimum I can adjust the ATOM to.
I have tried up to 14G, same noise.
I have an external heating box set to <5ma (I have experimented with different settings but no noticeable effect).
I have tried heating the blanks to various temps including room temp/unheated.
Tried external heating box on / off and various settings.
Usual steps are heat blank, apply Myshank wax to blank, let dry, cut.
I have a small heating lamp over cutter to keep blank warm.
I suspected a worn cutting needle but I just swapped in a brand new unused Myshank 462P and made this recording, the grinding noise still there.

I have tried recording silence to isolate the noise, difficult to tell but wondering if it is picking up grinding sound thru the platter as it rotates?
Maybe due to aged motor or bearings ? This is a pretty old machine so possible it needs a good lube job for those moving parts?
Was going to see about lubricating all the moving parts, anyone every dealt with similar issues with an ATOM/VANROCK ?
Suggestions for reducing or eliminating the grinding noise are greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately it is loud enough to be heard thru any recorded audio.

Thank you in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.