Peculiar surface noise cause VR

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PTV

Peculiar surface noise cause VR

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:05 pm

Hey Trolls!
I’ve got a very frustrating surface noise issue on my VR. It’s peculiar as it is happening with different newly sharpened styluses (Souri and Myshank) as well as with Souri and Myshank blanks.
Been happily cutting for years with clean cuts but I’ve been struggling with this noise for a month or so. I can sometimes get it to subside but then it comes creeping back!

I’ve tried realigning the diamond many times, adjusting the overhead so my stylus runs along the line perpendicular to the turntable, i’ve adjusted the cutter head so it is parallel to the blank, my vacuum suction system is in good working order and tube is 2mm from the stylus and blank surface , my counterweight is at 45g and dashpot set to around 15 (though i’ve tried heavier and lighter). The chassis and technics 1200 are level and the runout on the 1200 is very minimal (was getting noiseless cuts with the same small amount of runout). I’ve re-oiled the big screw in the overhead cross bar.

I've perused all the forums on here but am still feelin pretty stuck! :(

Any suggestions or advice is very much appreciated
Thank you!

Here is a link to a recording of the noise:
https://soundcloud.com/user-315370764/surface-noise-01

PMST

Re: Peculiar surface noise cause VR

Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:44 am

I had some problems a few months back, this noise was something that i also noticed (as well as skips in the lead in!) i found that after servicing the lathe it went away, including changing the dashpot oil for new. I had used it non stop for about 12 months without any maintenance (never again!), since taking it apart, cleaning and lubing all parts and fresh dashpot oil it works great again, no noise at all, smooth cuts and no issues whatsoever, just a thought just in case it is the oil changing viscosity and not dampening the head well enough after years of use.

PTV

Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:48 am

Good suggestion. I will change the dashpot oil today.

Thanks!

PTV

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:06 pm

I Changed the dashpot oil and the noise remains! :s

Any other suggestions??? This noise is haunting me!

Podorvanov

Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:06 pm

As for me these pickups, the noise is created by the amplifier or the electronics itself connected to the head. It may be enough to ground it. Alternatively, try disconnecting the head from the amplifier, just so that it is not connected, and make a test recording. If the noise disappears, it will be approximately clear that the whole problem is in the electronics.

2bitcomputer

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:12 pm

I hear that kind of noise when my stylus heat is switched off or my heating wires are not connected.
Use a DM to verify that the stylus heating circuit is ON and sending volts/current to the stylus?

PLD

Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:19 pm

I'd agree with 2bit. That sounds very much like a stylus heating (or not heating) issue.

PTV

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:11 pm

Thanks for the input everyone
My heating wires are connected and the circuit is working. And actually the noise goes away with lots of stylus heat (around 30 on the dial with Souri stylus). I'm getting good sounding cuts now like this however I've been getting equally as clean cuts with very little stylus heat (zero on the dial) for a long time so i know this amount of heat is unnecessary.
Mainly concerned now about wearing out my stylus much faster than necessary.

kodymonroe

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 am

Did you find a solution? I'm having the same problem now. Had zero static or surface noise on new diamonds for the longest time and now i cant say the same.
I have never used heat when cutting so that cant be it.

Dub Studio

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:12 pm

Can you record the noise and post it so I can hear it?