Presto 6N playback arm questions

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

flashbk13

Presto 6N playback arm questions

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:34 am

Hi all,
The 6N I just bought has the original tone arm, which is very heavy and has a set screw type needle (which I guess is a victrola type nail? Please see for sale section of this group). That would be good for 78's, but not for 33's. Can this arm be either lightened; a newer cartridge installed without much (if any mods); or the entire arm replaced with a newer, lighter (record friendly) arm? Thank you, Rick.

tsullivan

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:13 am

Those type of cartridges use a sapphire tipped shank type needle. They track a little lighter than a Victrola, but still pretty heavy at one or two ounces (not grams!) ouch! The 6N was intended for use in radio stations and would have been used for cutting either 78's or broadcast transcriptions, which are 33 1/3 rpm, but still use the wide groove the same as a 78. So a 3 mil stylus would have been used in either case. If you want to play microgroove records, you will need to look for a more compliant cartridge. If the tonearm uses standard half inch mounting centers, there are a number of ceramic cartridges with flipover or turnover needles on the market that will mount in that tonearm. Just be sure to set the tracking force to a level suitable for the cartridge you install, probably around 5 - 8 grams or so.

Tom

flashbk13

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:37 am

Thanks Tom for the info. I have a manual on order, so I can then see if the arm can be adjusted (looking at it, I see no adjustments). Thank you, Rick.