Stamping paper records?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jesus H Chrysler

Stamping paper records?

Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:25 pm

I read somewhere that they used to make paper records for giveaways and promo materials by embossing them on letterpresses. I have access to a letterpress (I use it for diecutting and numbering at work), but no real ideas as to how to make a stamper. Any ideas on what could make a good cheap stamper for use in such an application? metal plating is way out of the budget i have in mind. maybe some sort of epoxy? A friend of mine is starting a 'zine and it would be super cool to include a playable paper record in an issue,

softmachine

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:47 am

http://www.wfmu.org/MACrec/Flexi_Manu_Process.html

WFMU dudes may be of some help

i'm trying to develop a record printing process myself, starting with a lathe cut as a master, but based on this type of process for duplication:

http://gadgets.qj.net/How-to-Pirate-a-Vinyl-Record/pg/49/aid/39381

i would prefer to use epoxy resin and hardener for the last step though, as that may be a bit easier to find. there is another description of this process in make magazine issue 3, although a subscription is required to read that one.

it seems like one hell of a shortcut from the traditional way of doing things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IReDh9ec_rk&NR

Jesus H Chrysler

Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:11 pm

that was the page i saw it on. thanks for saving me from hunting it down again.

Aussie0zborn

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:34 am

You might be thinking of flexi-disks. The were made using a regular stamper . A roll of plastic is heated between two heating elements as it is fed into a press where it is cold pressed. (ie: the moulds are not heated or cooled). The plastic is then guillotined into squares. Some flexi-disks were prefectly round or "D" shaped.

The label information was printed onto the flexi-disk using a letterpress machine or in later years, a pad printer.

tsullivan

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:11 am

Those were also called sound sheets, and they frequently came bound into magazines. You just ripped them out and you usually had to tape them down on a LP record to play them. I even remember them coming on the outside of a cereal box. As I kid, I cut out Mickey Mouse records, and later, an Archie's record out of a breakfast cereal box. They played less than a minute at 78 rpm, and hifi they were not.

Tom

softmachine

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:49 pm

actually, I seem to have a few flexi style discs after pawing through my record collection:

the sugar bears #5: anyone but you
the archies #4: jingle jangle

both of these are on cardboard with a coat of extremely thin clear glossy plastic to play at 33 1/3 rpm. the sound is not high fidelity, but is still very listenable. having the centre hole cut in the exact center would help playback quite a bit. no manufacturer is listed on these records.

the slowpokes: happy trails

this one was manufactured by eva tone, 3in diameter, thin clear plastic + attached by glue to a postcard of a taxidermy "trigger" from the roy rogers museum

national geographic: winston churchill's funeral

black flexible plastic ripped from the back of a national geographic, manufactured by eva tone. 33 1/3 rpm. traded it for a sandwich.

k. namyslowski: siwy konik, tego mi grajcie

a polish postcard record with two songs on it. glossy photo on cardboard with 2 songs pressed into it. 45 rpm. postcard has 3 polish older dudes in full regalia trying to get this 12 year old girl to dance with them inside what looks like a hunting lodge. manufacturer seems to be tonpress, which I have yet to find any info. on. surprisingly good sound.

go figure!

tsullivan

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:05 am

Yep, those were the cerial box records I was talking about. The later Archie records from the 60's were 33 1/3 rpm. But I also have some Mickey Mouse records that were cut out of Wheaties or Cheerios boxes in the 50's, and those are 78 rpm. Still got them somewhere, I think. Maybe I should try putting them on ebay to see what they are worth.

Tom

gauze

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:35 pm

rather than taping the flexi/sound sheet to a record they usually suggested you place a coin on the label to weight it down.

I have around 150 flexis, mostly japanese hardcore punk. It was a much more affordable medium to produce (retail was about 1/3rd the price of a hard vinyl EP) and they were sold as records are not as give aways. Most are round black vinyl 7"s but I also have some 6" and 8" flexis and some on red,clear, blue or yellow vinyl.

In Japan they were called "Sono Shito" (Sound Sheet).

No one makes them anymore but I heard a rumor Erika Records has the presses to make them.