Fostex record cutter?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

thee bugged one

Fostex record cutter?

Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:20 am

For a few years I've wondered about this description at http://audiotools.com/lp3.html :

Fostex
Makes a damn good record cutter that has a tangential cutter and a normal arm for playback

I've never found any other info on this machine...is it something that was only available in Japan?..or they made a prototype and never released it? Can anyone please shed some light on this mystery?

That one simple description is a little too detailed for me to just let it go.

thee bugged one

Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:24 am

Could they be mistakenly talking about the Vinylium record cutter?

cuttercollector

Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:06 pm

It is real. I saw one demoed at NAMM a few years ago. I am not sure if it ever was really sold in any great numbers or by anybody in the US.
They made special non-lacquer discs for it to cut and it had issues.

As far as I am concerned, here in the US, all 3 of the new stereo cutters remain sort of mysterious phantom products that you can never really find out about or see - other than here or other places online.

cuttercollector

Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:09 pm

I am an idiot. I saw Fostex and read Vestax, oops.
Don't know about the Fostex at all.
While we are on the subject of rare Japanese pieces, are there any Japanese members of this forum who know about Japanese pro gear?
I think JVC made their own system, perhaps Denon too. Others?

tsullivan

Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:19 am

I have to wonder if there really is a market for such a thing. Supposedly, these new cutters are marketed at rappers and hiphop DJ's who want to make their own scratch mixes. They are the ones who coined the term "dubplate". I read that term for a long time not having the slightest idea what it meant. So are these rappers and hiphoppers really buying these things? Somehow I can't picture these guys spending all that money to make a record they are going to destroy right away making noises that grate on the nerves.

Tom

cuttercollector

Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:12 pm

It is bigger in Europe as records seem to be in general. I think you will find that a lot of the younger members of this forum are exactly that - people doing dj stuff, dubplates, and art people, experimenters and small indie band stuff. Not people using pro equipment for mastering for pressing.