what's wrong with this cut?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

stan_lavish

what's wrong with this cut?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:40 am

http://soundcloud.com/tshep1/2nd-lathe-cut-sample

just posted, but got a bit further with my problems - getting good sound now, minus this periodic hiss?

my guess is a loose/shakey recording needle?
sound is written into record, changes pitch when record speed changes!

any help?

setup is a Rek-O-Kut w/ Audex head --- amp is 8 ohms, appropriate for head
playback is technics 1200 w/ ortophon dj needle

Simon

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:20 am

The angle of the head can also cause BG noise.

Normally 90 degrees on these heads.

Older disc need to be preheated before cutting to about 36 to 39 degrees - this will eliminate a lot of BG noise.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

Simon

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:22 am

I would try and keep all your testing in one thread instead of starting new threads for each question related to the same subject.

Thanks. :wink:
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

46davis

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:11 am

It sounds like you lost your signal just about the time your disk went into gray cut. Unless you turned off the signal intentionally, that is.

A lot of cold-stylus heads will do that, aggravatingly. Everything will be going along just fine and you can hear it happen. Sometimes with Telefunken/Nuemann heads the angle can be reduced a little with some improvement. Also, an old batch of lacquer disks can give you real headaches. Look out for disks that have been in un-airconditioned storage as too long at too high a temperature ruins the laquer. Sometimes a coat of spray lacquer will rejuvenate the disks enough to use.
Parts for a 46 Davis are getting hard to get.