Cutting cds

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:55 pm

What do you guys use for center spacers? I've tried everyone size washer and nothing fits both the center hole and spindle just right. Peter king sent me a bunch bolts that fit pretty well, but they are pretty ghetto to include with the records I cut.

mossboss

Record Hole Sizes

Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:03 pm

There is a thread on this have a look at it It may give you some ideas
Are your records Kinked like doughnut holes? If so Andyb can sell/give you his punchings from his 45
Idea?
Cheers
Chris

tape

Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:36 am

markrob wrote:Hi,

Maybe its some sort of resonance effect. Perhaps there is a slight difference in the material between the two discs and the increase in sliding friction and or stiction is exciting a spring mass resonance present in the stylus cantilever. I could envision the stylus transitioning from embossing to cutting in an oscillating manner.

I wonder if either stiffening or adding damping material (e.g. rubber) to the embossing stylus would kill this? What would happen if you were to apply a thin coat of lubircant (say silicone spray) to the surface?

Just some random thoughts.

Mark
Thank you very much for the good suggestions. Actually I cleaned the disc with vinyl cleaning spray and a cloth, but seems strange that it should make such a big difference.

The head is damped with thick 'airy plastic' don't know the english word for it-) so it should be damped ok.
Again, with the discs being identical, it seems unlikely that they should have diferent surface properties or thickness - they are from Japan:-)

For making a center hole I use thick cardboard with a punched hole and a label sticker - this works fine, but it hard to punch perfect centered.